Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Larder getting full  (Read 16147 times)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Larder getting full
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 06:21:15 pm »
If you dont have fruit , Marrow or Courgette jam is scrumptious.

Just peel and dice marrow or courgettes inc seeds if they are small, weigh and weigh out same amount of sugar, just normal sugar as the marrow is high in pectin
put the marrow cubes in a pan and cook with a bit of water until tender then drain and mash. Take off the heat and add the sugar and add a good squeeze of lemon and a little ginger . Stir till the sugar has melted then gently boil till the jam is ready, this jam is pretty quick about 2o mins should do it. Then allow to cool for a minute or two before jarring as normal.
It tastes like barley sugar and does darken with age. Enjoy

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 11:07:56 pm »
Well done Blueeyes!  I love experimenting, you get some happy accidents and learn so much more than rigidly sticking to recipes.  Ok so you get some not-so-good outcomes too, but it's all part of the rich tapestry!

Enjoy that jam - it may not be the best you'll ever make, but I bet you never forget it.  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 11:48:25 pm »
Just tried a marrow and orange jam recipe - set nicely but the proof will be how it goes on toast tomorrow morning!
Quite optimistic that the courgette plants might be reaching their natural end - will be a relief not to have to dream up new things to do with a courgette every night!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 02:50:24 pm »
I am letting my courgettes go to marrow now as marrow will keep for a while. I have sold about half of my courgettes at the gate, a good seller.

calamityjane

• Joined Aug 2011
  • sauchie
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 12:55:58 am »
looking for chutney recipes but i will look at delia recipes online,  her recipes work. have started collecting jars going for a long walk hopefully weather permitting tomorrow for some brambles and rosehips/ great dried for ponies vit c rich.  apples are ready on my tree hence the chutney recipes def trying the bengal sauce recipe might try one without raisins not keen on them made marmalade the other day turned out great i usually make plum jam didn't this year my uncle loved my plum jam lost him this year couldn't face making it pity as plums were great this year not as good a crop as last year maybe next year

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 07:57:17 pm »
Sorry suzie missed your earlier post. Bengal sauce is like HP sauce, the maturer the better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 11:16:02 pm »
I am shamed into doing something so I pickled some beetroot - all the beetroot, in fact. Tomorrow, I will pickle eggs and have a go at the Bengal Sauce. Yes, I will.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 10:17:15 am »
It will become addictive Rosemary. I find the old sort of wartime cookbooks the best for preserves as they have in them many thrifty ways of preserving allsorts of veg and fruit , so get trawling those charity shops. :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 09:05:32 pm »
It will become addictive Rosemary. I find the old sort of wartime cookbooks the best for preserves as they have in them many thrifty ways of preserving allsorts of veg and fruit , so get trawling those charity shops. :)

I usually make jam but we dn't have our own fruit this year. Wil have next year.

I've pickled eggs and made Bengal sauce. Wow! It's lovely - I think it would add a real warmth to any casserole, sausages, cheese dishes.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 04:10:28 am »
Benkt
I am interested to know how the orange and marrow jam was on your toast. Is it worth making and if so can we have the recipe please.
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 04:26:42 pm »
Got some Bengal sauce on the stove - not sure I can wait 6 weeks to try it!  Smells fabulous.  I used a right mish mashof dried chillies of various heat, so it will be interesting! :yum:

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 01:30:40 pm »
I've done some small quantities of pickled eggs, onions and beetroot.

I've had loads of chillies this year so made chilli jam, dried some and have chopped a jar full up in white wine vinegar.

I like the sound of that bengali sauce, I might try that out.

Waiting for a friend to drop off some cockles as we speak and will trade them for a bottle of my rhubarb wine.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2011, 08:15:08 pm »

Waiting for a friend to drop off some cockles as we speak .

OOH!     sounds painful!
:D
Little Blue

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2011, 08:42:04 pm »
Now then Little blue! My friends cockles were pickled then eaten - lush!

I made some Bengal sauce, my farmhouse fare book had the same recipe in for Bengal chutney so if you don't want the sauce try it chuncky.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS