Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping grass down in pens  (Read 6069 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Keeping grass down in pens
« on: July 31, 2013, 03:42:00 pm »
I'm sure its because out pens are too big, but the grass is out of control in our pens. Have tried putting our 6 sheep in there- but they don't eat the really long stuff, The guinea pigs (in runs) eat lots but I keep moving them and soon the grass has grown back.

Last year we had 2 geese for x-mas who did a fab job of keeping the grass nice, but we can't find anyone local to sort them out at x-mas and I'm worried that the fox will eat them if they are pets/lawn mowers. I'd have an Alpaca or two for guards and grass, but don't have shelter for them and trying to find a shearer is hard and I can't afford to buy one!

Strimming is a nightmare as have to borrow my dads brush cutter as can't afford to buy new and no one I know has a grass end..

So I think geese it has to be and hope they don't get eaten! I'd love some West of England. Does anyone keep them? What are they like temperament wise? Etc.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Keeping grass down in pens
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 12:26:45 am »
I've got a pair of West of England and they're lovely - my little garden companions. Mine are not the best grazers though - they like the fresh grass but there are areas of their pen that are not close cropped (and it's not that big - 20m by 8m - with lots of other birds in with them at the moment). Where are you? I've got a list of breeders but they are hard to come by. I'm driving down to Devon later this year to pick up a second pair.

Can you not just get the lawn mower in there? We're just getting quotes for a big pen that'll be big enough to have breeding groups within and the gate'll be big enough to get our (compact) tractor in case the geese can't keep up (hoping to breed from them next year so the grazing should improve with bigger numbers).

H

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:02:39 am »
Strim and mow. Only solution we've found.

And please, never compain about too much grass - yes, it's a headache (I have two native ponies confined to barracks at the moment) but over the piece, I'd rather have too much grass than too little  :)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:14:46 am »
Could you let your guinea pigs loose in the pen through the day? I heard on Radio 4 Gardener's questions that in a secure garden they made the best lawns... I've had this in the back of my mind ever since.
- Currently the chicks (19, 9 weeks old in 8x5m) keep the grass at a good turf length and hammer the docks and weeds. When I build more pens I'm thinking I might aquire a few guinea pigs and move them from pen to pen to keep everything growing nicely.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:21:21 am »
Hi, I don't dare let them loose as will never catch them again and the birds of pray eat them :0(

Oh well, will just have to make them huge runs so they eat more at a time, and maybe have another litter or two for more grass eaters :0) LOVE baby GPiggies!!!

So there maybe baby piggies available in the spring!!! If anyone wants some??

Can never have too much grass, have just enough in the winter and just a bit too much in the summer- think i need store lambs in the spring...

Will lookout for a 2nd hand petrol mower as well.

Thanks!

Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:23:22 am »
our village does a tool rental scheme so you can rent a strimmer for a few pounds for the weekend.

ref geese - can you not learn the dispatch and prep yourself? its not difficult.
geese do like short grass but with geese and a strimmer it should be ok.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 03:00:32 pm »
I find that once the grass is short the geese will do the rest! I feed mine wheat at night and so they come running up to me and are happy to be shut in! If you are just going to have two you really don't need a big house for them to sleep in! I made my own from spare/scrap wood and a felt covered roof. Cost less that 20 quid and is totally fox proof etc!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 03:07:03 pm »
dont undersestimate the amount geese poop. it does make a mess if the area isnt big enough.
we used goats for keeping grass down in the chicken paddock with success. they only needed to go in for 4 mths of the year.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 05:16:54 pm »
Scythe or grass hook?

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 07:17:27 pm »
Thanks everyone!! Lots of ideas!

Just seen some Buff back geese at the Honiton show, they looked nice!! I guess they don't need to be eaten could have them as pets!! :0)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 11:13:44 pm »
Buff backs are gorgeous, I say go for it! I am a huge goose fan :) such great characters especially if you get them when they are young and they trust you. Some of mine even like a scratch behind the "ear" as they were hand reared.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 06:02:59 pm »
Find someone with a pony to eat it off for however long is necessary to get rid of the long stuff.  Or even a small cow?  I don't imagine free grazing will be turned down!

Muscovey ducks do a good job grazing too btw.  And eat flies.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 05:24:14 pm »
Alternatively, as a longer term solution and only if you can take the birds off it for a few months...
How about spraying off the grass and reseeding with suitable species, rather than stuff that's growing too high and your hens aren't interested in? I don't know much about grass species but I've always found advice from a company called 'Grass Seed Dirrect' to be very good, they're based in Stirling.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 06:30:41 pm »
Hi there Funkyfish

You may know I am selling all my poultry, and I had begun a programme to recreate the local Old English Crested Goose.

They should be a medium sized meaty goose, very easy to tame and handle.  The females should be pied grey and white and the males white both with small tufts of feathers on their heads.

I have (I think) a trio which are looking something like, or there are some Toulouse type crosses which will be larger bodied but also carrying the tufted/crested gene.  All hatched this spring and mostly with the same Crested father.

PM me if you think they might suit - I am Worcestershire WR6 5AG and they would need to be collected as couriers are around £80 per drop

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 09:13:50 pm »
Alternatively, as a longer term solution and only if you can take the birds off it for a few months...
How about spraying off the grass and reseeding with suitable species, rather than stuff that's growing too high and your hens aren't interested in? I don't know much about grass species but I've always found advice from a company called 'Grass Seed Dirrect' to be very good, they're based in Stirling.

thats excellent advice. cotswold grass seeds also stock a poultry mix. they do mail order.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS