Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old Tractors, Who's got what and what do you do with it?  (Read 22583 times)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Re: Old Tractors, Who's got what and what do you do with it?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 05:04:13 pm »
Hey, i know nothing about tractors and machinery but i drive round ours on and old nuffield, there ace, ours is a little powerhouse  ;) i chain harrow, lead bales in on a trailer, pick up a big bale of haylage on the back with a tine to lead in for the horses, have a smll muck spreader that it uses, we also have a trasport box we move pigs about in  :D I love it there cool  ;D ;) oh and we tie the sledge to it in the snow and drive round the forestry with with the kids in toe lol

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 03:33:28 pm »
Soooo Jealous, I would love an old tractor, keep telling the OH what a bonus it would be, he is not very mechanially minded and not convinced (sigh)

trev iow

• Joined Oct 2010
  • isle of wight
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 07:38:58 pm »
tvo grey fergy ,mainly used on sawbench now plus odd carting job.& the occasional ploughing match.in the past iv'e had a dexta,a major,db 990,2 db cropmasters,,3cyl mf 35, ih b250,diesel grey fergy,4 cyl mf 35,nuffield 10/60,.also had a few 2 wheelers,an anzani iron horse,merry tiller,howard gem,wrigley motor hoe,.at present i have a shay rotogardener complete with mowing deck which is used in both modes and just got ,on permanent loan from a friend ,a auto culto junior  with plough.i owned this machine some years ago,sold it on to chap who has since died,my friend bought it from his family but never used it so now it has come back to me.good little machine with the plough,did my veg patch with it yesterday.the rotary cultivator i had with it originally has got lost somewhere but they wern't that good,with the small wheels and narrow track they were top heavy.the shay is much more managable.have always done all my own repairs as most of my stuff has been bought as scrap/in need of repair.dont have many implements now as i dont have use for them,though i've had most bits of tackle in the past.just got a fergy link box,a tasker paterson earth scoop(very useful bit of kit if you can find one)a fergy single furrow plough which has be converted by having a sellar bar point single furrow digger body on it.an old acrow flat belt bench which i converted to hydraulic lift and pto drive and a couple of small trailers

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 04:30:15 pm »
Hoping to get a tractor in the future, I've driven quite a few different ones when Ive worked on farms, old and brand new, and I prefer the old ones.   The Ford 7810 is one of my favourite tractors, a real old workhorse but has some character, never let me down.

Another great tractor is the John Deere 6910, superbly solid, and again was great for all manner of tasks.

The massey 135 is a great little tractor, great fun to drive as well

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 07:09:21 pm »
We have a Case International 695 XL 4 wd. Its a 1991.
We bought it with a front loader attached and it was invaluable when we were digging out our site for the cottage build. We also bought a Malone post wacker - and are very proud of the fences we have put up with its services  :)
We bought a 6ft topper at the same time as the tractor and managed to keep our 4 acre field looking vaguely respectable for the 1st 2 years, but last year we just let the grass grow as we were to busy with the build.
We have just bought a Howard rotovator for the tractor so hopefully our final landscaping will smooth out the general mess that has happened during the build process.
Tish

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 09:28:20 pm »
Got our Fergie going brilliantly this weekend, just need a few more painting jobs and some leccy work and this year the croft will be producing animal feed and bulk veg, hopefully!

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 06:33:23 pm »
We have a Feguson TEF 20 1956.  One of the last of the diesels before the "grey/gold" ones. Starts and runs well and does most of the work on the Croft.
We have a 2 furrow plough, Discs, Ridger, Finger bar mower, Tedder, Potato spinner, Link box, Rotovator and a tipping trailer.
It's a good light tractor so even on soft ground it doesn't break the surface easily.  Nothing like it for hauling Peats home from the moor.
Slightly modified it to a 1 and 3/8 inch PTO shaft and fitted a Massey 35 pre engaged starter.  Only problem is it has not charged the battery in 3 years.  I'll get round to fixing it this year though :-[

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 08:36:44 pm »
I know nufink about tractors :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D ;D

But OH has this grey fergie 35? with a gold? engine, when he has time he 'says' he will strip it down as it has an oil leak ::) ::) but he 'says' he has to split the engine to do it.  It goes real good - works hard most weeks -from shifting heaps of stone and soil to using it to lift concrete blocks onto the scaffolding.  He has a finger mower / chain harrows / Vicon spinner / and a hay turner - big spikey wheels that turns the hay/into rows.?
He gives it a squirt of 'easy start' to get it started and like Crofter he's always charging the battery up.
He's hoping to get an old baler and a ring roller? at the local mart machinery sale.  it has a big duvet in the winter to keep it warm.
You are never to old to learn something new

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 03:45:16 am »
I have a chamberlain and crush pig feed with it using a hammer mill.  I works really hard when we are crushing and then augering off.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 08:26:36 pm »
My OH went to get insurance for ours yesterday, the lady asked if it was right or left hand drive ???  ??? ::)

immsy

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 10:44:26 am »
I have a Ford Super Dexta late 50's i think , i use it for slashing and a bit of forklifting.

Cheers

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 06:42:56 pm »
Managed to get a plough at last for ours. ;D

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 11:23:03 am »
Hoping to get a tractor in the future, I've driven quite a few different ones when Ive worked on farms, old and brand new, and I prefer the old ones.   The Ford 7810 is one of my favourite tractors, a real old workhorse but has some character, never let me down.

I have a shire compact and was intending to get a front loader as I have a shedload of soil to shift, but the loader itself is an expensive piece of kit and looking around I could get a decent second hand medium size tractor complete with FL for the same kind of money but which one to go for, what make would you suggest? JD MF, Case?

montana

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 12:05:36 pm »
just bought in a auction at the weekend, a  restored 1975 david brown 885 with front loader and back digger.
Just had an operation but cant wait to put it to work! We also bought a set of 8 ft drag harrows, just need to find a topper and will be well away :)

andy jb

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 03:24:33 pm »
Hi nice old Nuffield i have got a 1960 just the same as yours back in the 60's we had 9 Nuffields on the farm that i worked on.
That cab is a Lamboure safty cab made for the Nuffield

Just use my tracors for shows road runs and on my very big veg garden got 10 now
                                           regards andy :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS