Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grass enrichment?  (Read 1381 times)

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
Grass enrichment?
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:52:55 am »
Still waiting for my sheep to lamb, but I had a walk around the field where they will eventually be turned out together (2 ewes and their respective twins, all being well)... I only have about two acres currently divided into two halves. I had the field topped out last September as it was very tall and about to go over. The grass grew back slowly but surely. However, when I look at it now it's not looking so healthy. Like it's going a kind of rusty colour mixed in with green grass. I don't know if this is a result of the super freezing weather we had recently (we're in west Wales) or if the grass needs some kind of sheep-safe boost. Or will just letting them graze (and fertilise) it be enough? Any advice appreciated.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Grass enrichment?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 12:43:28 pm »
A soil sample for analysis would tell you whats needed . Phosphate / potash / lime   shortage  all affect  grass growth and quality
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:06:55 pm by shep53 »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:06:17 pm »
Grass enrichment to me means getting a richer species mix, especially encouraging clover.  Beware of piling on the nitrogen in chemical form as it encourages rapid lush growth of certain grass species, which can lead to grass staggers and scouring in your sheep.  It actively discourages both clover growth, and a mix of native grazing species.  Allowing your grass to develop over a few years, from rotational pasture to permanent pasture can be scary if you don't have confidence in what you are doing, but it makes for healthy sheep.

Our grass looks rubbish at the moment, because it's had heavy snow lying on it for ages, and severe frosts over the winter.  It has almost no nutritive value. Compared to our neighbours who will be out there with the fertiliser spreaders any day, our grass will start to grow a bit later, and more slowly than theirs, but ultimately it will be a darker green and much more palatable to the sheep and full of a variety of nutrients.  We feed good hay over the winter, maybe for a bit longer than our neighbours, but we can do that as we are hobby farmers, whereas they are running a business.

To get more species rich grazing, buy an organic seed mix specifically for grazing animals. There are various ways to add it to your pasture such as slit sowing, where you make a series of slits into the sward then sprinkle your seeds in, or find some bare patches, scuff up the surface and sow your seed there.  You can buy small plants which would establish well, but even for just 2 acres, planting them out would be a big job, and the cost would be much higher than seed.

However, you could be worrying about nothing and once the weather has warmed up and soil temps are 7C or higher, you might find you have some lovely grazing after all.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 06:01:44 pm »
Thanks, maybe it's just rom the weather because it used to be green. And had nice things like meadow vetch and whatnot. I went orotund and carefully pulled out any ragwort I found last year too (and burnt it).

I'm hoping to divide the two halves again and let each quarter have a three week rest in between grazing. I think I'll just let the sheep do what sheep do and then see if I need to act. I'm also a hobby farmer so can afford to buy nice hay and organic feed. It's not so bad when you only have a couple sheep!

Thanks again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS