Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sausage Recipes  (Read 4627 times)

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
Sausage Recipes
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:23:54 am »
I thought I would start a thread here for those of us who are bangers about sausages.. Please post your favorite sausage recipes here ...

Im planning of making some sausages tomorrow as I have a whole belly of pork to use up it would also be nice to have a single thread going which people can add to and anyone can find all the sausage recipes in one place :)

Sam

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Sausage Recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:38:35 am »
Finely chopped apple and a bit of sage is my favourite. 2 apples and a level teaspoon of dried sage to every three pounds of pork, plus a small amount of rusk or breadcrumbs.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:51:53 am »
Hello Sam have a look on recipes :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:35:23 pm »
My husband's the cook so I don't know exact measurements etc but pork and mead is very very tasty. Unusual and quite a grown up taste but extremely moreish :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:20:55 pm »
Does anyone make Mutton sausages?  They come out much denser than pork but they are delicious.  I have tried various flavours from mint (boring), Herbes de Provence (predictable but good), redcurrant (hmm - need to work on that one), Chilli (wonderful - the more chilli the better), black pepper (better for pork) to N African spices (can't remember what I used although it included apricots, but it needed something stronger).  Still have one more amorphous lump of mutton mince to use so wanting something good for that lot.  Made from some of our oldest friends  :o :sheep: ;D ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 03:03:37 pm »
our first lamb is going to slaughter tomorrow and he is coming back as mince.  do i just make suasages from the mince? is that a stupid question?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 06:03:34 pm »
Not stupid, of course not.  We remince ours depending on how well it's been done, but basically yes, make them from the mince, plus a little crumb or they are too hard, and your flavours of choice.  Would be good in burgers too as he will be nice and tender - too good for sausages really.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 08:35:21 pm »
thanks fleecewife. . by 'crumb' do you mean breadcrumbs?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 12:23:23 am »
Er, can be but I just couldn't remember the word 'rusk'  ;D  You can buy rusk and flavourings ready made (for example from Weschenfelder) or you can make your own.  I baked a loaf of 50% wholemeal spelt and 50% strong white flour then dried it out and crushed it.  If I did that again I would use all white flour as the wholemeal was noticeable in the sausages.  I think I used 10% rusk but you could up that a bit.  You need to add water too of course to get the mix moist enough to go through the stuffer, but not so much for burgers.  If you make sausages I will be interested to hear how they turn out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS