Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: who buys cull ewes  (Read 9666 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: who buys cull ewes
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 06:39:26 pm »
Ive had a ewe slaughtered here and hung in the walk in fridge.  Problem is finding someone decent to butcher the thing as the art is dying.  I used to have a fantastic young lad who was taught the old way but he's moved on now.

Mutton is good but it is a different type of cooking and better for winter months for stews etc however I do struggle with the fat.  Im not usually sensitive but the amount of fat puts me off even after skimming it off.  My children loved it.  The meat on things like chops is dry as you have to cook them for a good while to get them tender again this spoils it for me.  I think it would make fantastic spit roast or ultra slow bbq in the proper way.

Selling ewes before 1yr old is fine we've always done this and had fantastic lamb.  If you want to try to sell direct to a butcher or have it back in the freezer may be better.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 08:52:06 am »
Ive had a ewe slaughtered here and hung in the walk in fridge.  Problem is finding someone decent to butcher the thing as the art is dying.  I used to have a fantastic young lad who was taught the old way but he's moved on now.

Mutton is good but it is a different type of cooking and better for winter months for stews etc however I do struggle with the fat.  Im not usually sensitive but the amount of fat puts me off even after skimming it off.  My children loved it.  The meat on things like chops is dry as you have to cook them for a good while to get them tender again this spoils it for me.  I think it would make fantastic spit roast or ultra slow bbq in the proper way.

Selling ewes before 1yr old is fine we've always done this and had fantastic lamb.  If you want to try to sell direct to a butcher or have it back in the freezer may be better.
If you cook mutton breast it is generally very fatty. Always best to precook it by boiling in a pressure cooker, then cut the day off, it comes off so easily then... :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 10:30:01 pm »
Straight answer is 70+ into the halal trade, of which alot os simply diced up or minced and sold into the Islamic market place - and alot is exported to the Islamic world - Simply put the traditional cooking methods for their cuisine suit mutton, IE Slow cooking in sauces - etc.

The remainder, often go into the catering trade in general - so think ready meal pies etc, where its sold as "shepherds pie" so its not a lie nto call it that.
Canteens etc.
Again a fair amount of this is exported.

The proportion will vary, with northern markets having a very high share going export and halal simply because of the larger halal-requiring population nearby, and links back to halal consuming country’s of origin facilitating the export market.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS