Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: AI for goats  (Read 2736 times)

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
AI for goats
« on: July 02, 2017, 09:18:56 am »
Does anyone AI their goats?  We would like to consider this for later this year for our GGs. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: AI for goats
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 11:00:38 am »
Wrong part of country
BBGS organise events
Laparoscopic AI and Embryo Transfer Day

WHEN:   Sunday 8th October 2017 WHERE : Stowmarket, Suffolk.
FOR:        Goats and Sheep (Small numbers – from 1 animal upwards!)

Nicola Knott is organising a Laparoscopic AI and ET (Embryo Transfer) day in Stowmarket on 8th
October 2017. AB Europe from Malvern will be once again visiting Stowe Vets Large Animal department
in 54 Bury Road, Stowmarket IP14 1JF for the day where breeders will be able to bring their animals
along and have them Laparoscopically AI’d and ET’d (frozen embryos only).
Fees are:

£15 per animal for AI

£75 per Embryo for ET.

For both of these procedures, breeders will need to source and buy semen or embryos in advance.

BBGS NEWSETTER

‘Laparoscopic AI and ET Day 2017
There will be a £10 per animal entry fee on the day (to cover venue hire and AB travelling fee )

All fees are payable on the day.

Programmes will be supplied to each breeder with full instructions on how to prepare and hormonally
synchronise the animals for the day. Contact Nicola for more information.

If you are interested in booking on this event, or have any questions please contact Nicola Knott
ASAP e-mail : topknot@boer-goats.co.uk or telephone on 01449 737951. Due to the time needed to
synchronise animals, particularly goats, please book by early September.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:03:25 am by mart6 »

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 11:28:09 am »
Yes have taken my goats to Edinburgh AB Europe(formerly innovis) for laprascopic AI several goatkeepers I know take some every year. You are sent a sponging schedule for appointment can be there and back in one day(im in Aberdeen) (you will require chronogest sponges plus injection of PMSG from your vet) When I did it both goats I took were successful but it can be hit or miss I know one goat keeper took a few and none hold one year.Cost 15 per straw 15 to inseminate (I got sponges(around £2 each and pmsg(expensive need whole bottle once mixed just for 1.8 - max of 2ml per goat but our vet says you can freeze it once mixed) from a pedigree sheep farmer friend. It cost £88 to get semen there but if timing is right or semen already at edinburgh you won't have that cost.
Anke can advise better as knows about GG's and has done AI there in recent years.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 11:29:25 am »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 06:51:43 am »
IIf you are a member of the GGGS you get a stud register, which will list semen available for sale through either the society or some individuals, mostly stored at ABEurope, so readily available.

However success rates vary and it would be prudent to also have a back-up male booked for service should the AI fail. Often goats do not come back into proper season after failed AI and scanning (vets) can help to establish if the AI was indeed successful or not.

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 09:14:22 pm »
Thank you everyone for your replies,  a lot to think on.....

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 10:30:34 am »
Our local vets, Buchan Vets (Strichen, Fraserburgh, Peterhead) have recently started doing ai for cattle, sheep and goats. Not sure of costs and procedure (wether its done at your place or theirs). Might be of use to some folk on here in Aberdeenshire or beyond....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS