Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crovect pour on solution  (Read 4894 times)

Duchess

• Joined Jun 2017
Crovect pour on solution
« on: June 27, 2017, 04:32:36 pm »
Hi All, I'm struggling to source a small 0.8L bottle, everywhere is out of stock !

Maybe I'm a little late in shearing   :sheep:

I only have two sheep so the question is would anyone syphon me off a couple of doses (willing to pay of course) and lives within a 10 mile radius-ish of Preston/Chorley/Wigan ?

If you don't ask you don't get xx :wave:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Crovect pour on solution
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 05:22:17 pm »
What not just get them shorn?
I'm to far away unfortunately

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 06:03:10 pm »
Get them shorn ... surely easier?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 07:43:25 pm »
There seems to be a shortage of the small bottle. Do you need to crovect? We have only had fly struck feet where there was already a problem. We check our sheep twice daily. We clipped yesterday and last night it rained hard so any pour on would have been rendered pretty useless by this morning. Some people never get a problem and some people get struck sheep in particular places on the animal. Some people have no end of problems. If you have clipped and your sheep have clean behinds you might well be OK.

Duchess

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 07:50:29 pm »
Thanks Harmony, my ladies have been shorn last friday and their fleeces and rear ends are very clean, i had not considered not corvect(ing) but will now consider it, ive never had a problem with fly but will keep an eye on them anyway. Thanks again

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 08:28:29 pm »
I don't crovect for a good 3 or 4 weeks after shearing. In my area sheep often get struck without it

Duchess

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 08:51:55 pm »
Thanks bj cardiff they might have the smaller bottle by then with any luck  :thumbsup:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 06:32:52 am »
Try here
https://www.wormers.co.uk/acatalog/info_CROHED.html

or don't treat or use something else chemical or more natural such as neem oil

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 10:10:18 am »
Thanks Harmony, my ladies have been shorn last friday and their fleeces and rear ends are very clean, i had not considered not corvect(ing) but will now consider it, ive never had a problem with fly but will keep an eye on them anyway. Thanks again

It is easy to go down the route of "I must because everyone does".  Even with pour ons you are not guaranteed no fly strike.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 03:21:22 pm »
Crovect is better used for treatment not prevention.  It only prevents where it touches where as Clik covers whole body ... and clikzin can be used for shorter withdrawl.    Also there is no point spraying until wool is regrown by about 1-2cm  ie at least 3 weeks post shearing.   With 2 sheep I wouldn't bother ... you will be watching them very closely daily . 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Abitofground

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 10:15:36 am »
A few days late on this but if you are not sorted....
if you only need enough for two, why not try your local (large animal) vets.
Ours will supply the amount we need (or want) .  maybe at a slightly premium price but better than fly strike.
and the official shelf life after opening for Crovect is 3 months, (for CLik 1 yr) - for two sheep even a small bottle is a waste.
Also if you are late shearing and intend to do so, you should not use a pour on ... most preclude shearing for a number of weeks after application .. this is one of the first things our shearer checks for his own H&S.

ddangus

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 04:03:44 pm »
We recently successfully treated fly strike with a 2 % tea tree oil solution sprayed on and the rubbed into the affected area this after hand shearing. This was based on information from Australian research . It is also reported to have a repellent effect on flies, we have not had a problem since, but then we never had fly strike before in 2,5 years of keeping sheep. Maybe worth a try as a preventive as well.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 07:12:32 pm »
I sprayed my tup with a diluted jeyes solution, ewe and lambs got Spotinor after I'd  'sheared' her (with biggish scissors, there are easier ways of spending an hour  :), )
There is a jeyes fluid spray left near the gate for if I see flies about.
Interestingly the black ewe and black female lamb had flies round them, (no strike), white tup and white lamb didn't.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 10:04:45 am »
Apparently flies can see black easier than any other "colour".
That is why in a mixed herd of cows the black ones have more flies on than any of the others.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 12:08:33 pm »
Apparently flies can see black easier than any other "colour".
That is why in a mixed herd of cows the black ones have more flies on than any of the others.
I'm convinced black warms up more than white, warm fleece more attractive?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS