Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice about pigs please.  (Read 3191 times)

ShonaMouse

• Joined Jun 2017
Advice about pigs please.
« on: June 26, 2017, 11:03:36 pm »
— looking for recommendations.
I have a garden 80x35ft (10x25m). It has 4 well established trees (1 pine, 1 apple, 2 others), several large bushes, lots of bramble, some path, a gravel patch and is very overgrown with weeds. I have a good space for a wallow. Id like to get some pigs in to clear it. How many do you think is a good number to start with for the space? I will be getting weaners to fatten for slaughter. any Idea what would be the best breed to get? I'm not fussed on looks but want low maintenance, value for money and predictable temper. Be nice if they are friendly and up for some loving but OK if they prefer hands off.
My fencing is wood panel with concrete support posts. it varies from 6-8ft and is not see through all though there is a gate with 3 inch gap at the bottom.
what shelter would they need? don't think I can afford a pig shelter but was thinking of building something with pallets and roofing felt or using an old shed.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Advice about pigs please.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:28:21 pm »
Please buy a strimmer instead.  Your fences are inadequate, the space will be turned into a ploughed field in a few weeks, they will destroy most housing of the kind you describe, you'll need a permanent clean water supply, trailer for transportation and place to store sacks of feed.  There is no such thing as a "low maintenance" pig - they all need careful, daily husbandry.  You will need a CPH number and to nominate a large animal veterinary practice.  "Value for money" is generally a case of you pays your money and you takes your choice.  You may be able to buy some weaners that have had a poor start in life and therefore missed the maximum feed conversion stage of their life and be susceptible to a variety of diseases, particularly pneumonia, or you can pay more and buy top quality weaners that will thrive.  "Predictable temper" can, again, be down to good breeding but it also has to be remembered that you are dealing with an unfamiliar species - if a pig is feeling off colour and you don't spot the signs, you may well find yourself dealing with a very grumpy pig indeed - one that could bite your arm off in seconds if it wished. 

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:00:04 pm »
The size of garden is quite small for pigs they'll of cleared it within a week and then they'll be through the wood pannels. Most pigs are clean and have a dedicated toilet, which does get quite smelly and attracts flies, I don't think I'd want that close to my house. Do you have a CPH number already? You'll need one and a heard number before you got weaners.

I really don't think its a good idea

ShonaMouse

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 10:17:02 pm »
Its not grass, more like an allotment with some bushes and small trees (as well as the larger ones mentioned) that has been left to grow wild. Im expecting it to be fully cleared and happy with this, i have a secure, dry, brick built area for feed. am aware of cph number needed and will get this when pigs are confirmed, happy to muck out. permanant clean water will of course be provided as well as a wallow and shade. Thank you for advice re fencing, I will get an electric. will also look into sturdier housing. I have a trailer.
I have worked with pigs before and am happy to do daily husbandry and I know which local farm vet I will be using if needed. I also know the basics of pig care in that environment. My experience has been on a farm with breeding sows where they are in concrete stalls about 3x4m. at weaning piglets are moved to a grass field and most are sold with a few kept for slaughter or breeding. The boars lived out in a small paddock.
Based on this I could have quite few pigs in the space ive got but I want my pigs to be happy.  Id like an idea of how many would be happy and comfortable in that space. I think 2-4?
working with them as i did doesnt really let you get to know them and what they are like to interact with. docile, playful, wary, skittish, bold, friendly, defensive...? just a general idea of if it differs between breeds. do some breeds need a lot of stimulation and open space to be happy, are others happier to be left to do their own thing and dont like to be fussed? Is a pig a pig regardless? are their some breeds that prefer to be in large groups and others happier with just one friend?
With value for money I dont really mean which one makes the biggest profit, I guess I mean more which is most reliable. more hardy, less likely to fall ill etc.

ShonaMouse

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:22:40 pm »
Also, that isnt my whole garden, just the bit i want cleared. I would still have some pig free garden for me.
And I realise that the farm I worked isnt the best most pig friendly way to keep them which is why I want to do it better and am asking this advice.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 04:38:50 pm »
My first thought on reading this Shona, was wondering which would be destroyed first - the wood panel fencing, or the gate with its 3" gap underneath which is just sufficient for a snout to get under and lift it off its hinges. I wouldn't give out much hope for your small trees either. :yum:
There is a reason why the farm you worked on had sows in concrete stalls. There is nothing there for them to destroy! When the piglets were moved out to a grass field they will have had a lot more room/pig than you have and a lot more substantial, or electric fencing.
In answer to your question - all pigs are intelligent and need stimulation. That's why you need good fencing. In the absence of plenty of room to roam and mess about they will amuse themselves by destroying whatever they can.
I'm sure it's not impossible to keep a couple (maximum!) in the space that you have available, but it requires a lot of preparation. It isn't even just enough to have an electric fence as if the pigs haven't come across one before they will just go straight through it before they realise.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:42:09 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

ShonaMouse

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 06:00:53 pm »
Thank you for your response. Im really not fussed about the trees or anything within the garden being destroyed but will need to make sure the fencing is secured. I didnt think the gate would be good enough but hadnt realised they would get through the fencing too. I will look into getting an appropriate shelter for them. I had originally planned on getting two but was told I would be better with 5 which seems excessive to me which is why I asked. Think I'll stick to 2 :)

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 06:51:54 am »
Hey,
It seems you have got some pretty negative feedback on your proposed venture
Not everyone has the space and money to create the environment to raise pigs the so called "proper" way. That doesn't mean that you should not be able to do it "your" way so long as the pigs are kept healthy and happy
Here are my thoughts:

Electric fence is a must however any pigs you do get should be relatively easily trained to it as it will have a solid fence behind it meaning they will reverse back the way rather than trying to go through it.
There is a lady that keeps pigs close to me and they live in a shelter that is made out of pallets. Her sow even farrows in there so it can be done and made to work
I would, given the space available, only get two weaners.
Breed choice, you should be able to get a couple of x breed weaners for £35-40 each which will do just fine
Good luck!

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 10:07:54 am »
Pallet houses are easy to make and easy to replace, so if the pigs destroy it you can easily build another one, I've kept two sow's in one and they were fine, although they did use it as an itching post. One option may be to use the trailer as a house, I would however put a pallet fence around three sides to stop them chewing the wiring and fittings.

Weaners will soon understand an electric fence is to be avoided, they do tend to go forwards when they first touch it so they may get out a few times, but that will soon stop, it will also keep them away from damaging your wooden fence.

I would start with two to see how you get on, you can always get more later. Furthermore, the more pigs you have of the same age the more fridges and freezers you will need when they are ready for the abattoir, as they may all be ready at the same time. You could always overlap the weaners by say 3 months, this may give you a constant supply rather than a glut of meat.
I keep OSB, they are quite a placid pig, long in the body with good loins for bacon, but other traditional breeds will be quite similar.

There are a number of pig groups you can join on Facebook, good for hints and tips and it's also useful for finding stock.
Enjoy

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 10:47:00 am »
I agree that two pigs well managed might work ok. You can always sell them if you find it isn't working. I would suggest you get them finished before winter arrives. Get either cross bred or traditional pigs rather than modern breeds.

Pigs don't tend to poo in their house if they have somewhere outside to go. If you can get hold of curved tin sheets you can make an ark quite cheaply yourself.

Secure fencing is a must. As is a pig proof gate. Also think about access. It might be not too big a job getting two weaners to this piece of land but getting two finished pigs off it and into the trailer could be a different story. Teach your pigs to walk with a stick and board if you aren't going to be able to get a trailer near the gate.

Trailers are an expensive item for two pigs. Could you borrow one? See if anyone has pigs near you that might be able to supply you with weaners and help with travel to abattoir. Where are you?

You get a lot of meat back from a pig. Make sure you have freezer space or an outlet for your pork. Another good reason to start with 2 not 5.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 03:54:25 pm »
I rear two weaners at a time in a small paddock. They have concrete area if the weather is bad and this is where their ark is. I have sheep fencing with electric just up from the bottom and this keeps them in. I go for the Kune-Kune pig which has a lovely nature and seems to stay in good health. I do keep their area as clean as possible though. They give us enough pork for a full year for the 2 of us, sometimes family get sausages. I rest the paddock for at least 6 months sometimes longer. As I feed lots of fruit and veg along with their pig nuts they do very well and go to slaughter around 10 months old. Most of the veg I grow myself. they get handled most days so well used to me and I never have any bother loading into our trailer. Having pigs is a joy and such fun. When they go to slaughter I take them in myself to keep their stress as low as possible.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS