Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: KuneKune/Sadleback or Mangalica  (Read 4473 times)

DuncanDavis

• Joined Jun 2017
KuneKune/Sadleback or Mangalica
« on: June 26, 2017, 12:30:51 pm »
Hi, I wonder if anyone has experience of using a Mummy Sadleback or Mangalica (or any other pig) with sperm from a Kunekune pig?
I really like the KuneKune's ability to eat almost just grass for a chunk of the year, but for several reasons I would like to have a cross breed:
One I am having trouble getting a KuneKune within a reasonable distance of where we live (Orkney).
Two I think the carcass would be better (longer, less fat) if I could cross in a sadleback.

My questions are:
One would the cross still have the grass eating ability of the Dad?
Two Is my thinking about the crossing giving a better carcass correct?

Thank you for any help

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: KuneKune/Sadleback or Mangalica
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 03:05:03 pm »
Putting a terminal sire onto a traditional will generally give a leaner finish. Some lines of saddleback are leaner than others and there is always the risk of offspring following the Kune trait of more fat and slow growing. Magalitza x KK is would not be an improved cross in my opinion. To improve the Kune in terms of getting a less fatty carcase you would need to look at crossing a modern, terminal sire onto a kune. I don't know how many teats Kune's have or their general underline confirmation but a terminal sire could throw a big litter.

Keeping pigs as grass controllers is not a common theme. Kunes do graze but they can still dig. Grass doesn't fatten pigs generally.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 03:16:33 pm »
Mangalitzas are slow-growing and tend to run to fat, just ending up bigger and hairier than the KK.  Crossing two distinct breeds may give highly variable offspring, with the risk of incorporating the less desirable traits of both.

DuncanDavis

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:10:22 pm »
Thank you for you thoughts, they have been educational.

My main hope is to have a pig that needs less supplemental feeding, and from what I have read about KuneKunes they will reach slaughter size on just grass and hay and a little feed in the winter, but they excel at digesting grass. It does take a lot longer to reach full size, and they are smaller then most breeds, but the extra 6 months to a year does not bother me as long as they need less feeding overall.

I wonder what the chances are of good traits being passed on rather then bad!!

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 08:45:43 pm »
Some people have experimented with larger breeds over kune kune sows which means the sows still have lower input in terms of feed, but the piglets may grow away faster. They don't require "no" feed, especially in harsh Scottish weather, but eat about 1/4 the feed of a traditional (eg saddleback) to get to slaughter weight if fed grass/hay as well.
It is not possible to get kune kune sperm for AI yet, but I have some young kune kune gilts and a few litters due in St Cyrus, so not far from Aberdeen where Orkney boats leave from and can transport if you were interested.

DuncanDavis

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 09:34:25 pm »
Oh, that is exciting news. How much would a girl or two and a boy cost.

And can animals go on the ferry unaccompanied?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS