Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: making sausages?  (Read 5526 times)

nigelish

• Joined Jan 2009
making sausages?
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:35:04 pm »
Can anyone help me I am keen to make my own sausages, I already make my own cheese so I think in my own bizarre mind that this must be the next logical step, does anyone know of any courses on this subject, I would like one around my area if possible (Herefordshire). Many thanks
Nigel :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: making sausages?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 07:27:31 am »
Dont know of any courses, Hugh FW video or River Cottage book might be of use.  Basically find a good recipe, follow it, stuff the mixture into the skins, rest in fridge for 24 hours.

Or ask your local butcher if he can show you how.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 07:30:47 am »
You could have a look to see if there is a local smallholders association near you, they might run courses.  Otherwise I think the River Cottage site has online courses.

If you fancy a trip to Devon I could show you.
 :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 09:17:57 am »
Hello Nigel have a look in Recipes on page 2 I have posted about what to do with your dead pig You may find this of interest I have told how to make Lincolnshire but if you don't like a strong sausage go easy on the spices and herbs.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 05:16:37 pm »
River cottage do excellent on line course on butchering,game, foraging and fish skills . You do have to pay to dowload them unless you win one but they are well worth it . The pig one takes you through from husbandry to butchering to salami, sausages etc

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 06:26:03 pm »
I bought my sausagemaking equipment from Weschenfelder and he was very happy to answer all my questions and help me find the equipment most suitable to the scale I work on - I got a 5kg stuffer plus a slightly larger mincer than I had already.  He also provides recipes and rusk/herb/spice mixes for various different meats and styles of sausage. I don't think you really need a course - just have a go.  For finding the right recipe, try small quantites of your chosen meat with ingredients you want to try and make burgers - obviously the moisture content will be different but it helps to work out your recipe.  I have only made mutton sausages so far (don't have any pigs any more) and have tried them with chillies (lots more than you think you need), Herbes de Provence, mint (waste of good mint as it disappeared in the cooking), apricots and north African spices, cranberries, black pepper and garlic - let your imagination run free  :yum:  I made my own rusk - 50:50 wholemeal and spelt bread, dried and ground and I added only 10%, otherwise the sausages taste of bread not meat.  Mutton sausages are low fat so a bit solid but I do intend to try pork ones one day.  At first I found handling the skins difficult but you soon get the hang of it  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

nigelish

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 09:32:32 am »
Thankyou for all your advice, should recieve my sausage making kit next week so will let you know how I get on, the River cottage website is excellent help.
Nigel

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 09:46:50 am »
Nigel Mornin There are no HARD & FAST RULES A very good base for you to alter is 1lb of meat 1/2lb of best back fat and some wet and rung out bread P&S to taste.Now add things to your idea apple and leek or all sorts of herbs  Go mad and put some chilli in but be carefull it spoils your sausage quick it is a very powerfull ingredient is chilli.Make the basic mix Then divide it into half pounds and make a pattie (Beefburger) and fry it and taste If it seems nice case the bit what was left to make 3 links and leave a couple of days to mature.Experiment but write down what you did because I dare bet you cannot remember what you did that made the best sausage you ever tasted.In my opinion best breakfast sausage must have a generous helping of sage in it ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS