Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone who could make me a blanket?  (Read 1866 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Anyone who could make me a blanket?
« on: May 20, 2017, 01:49:36 pm »
My daughter has her own little flock off black Welsh sheep an we're shearing today I'm wondering if anyone could make me a blanket from raw fleece? Im in north wales but happy to post fleece to someone an pay them via PayPal

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Anyone who could make me a blanket?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:19:48 pm »
Try The Natural Fibre Co.  They will scour and spin your fleeces then send them on to a weaver for making into the final blanket.  You need a certain minimum weight of fleece for them to work with, or they do group spins too, where your fleece is pooled with others of the same breed.

Making a blanket on a domestic scale from raw fleece is certainly something I wouldn't take on, even for myself, but who knows, maybe you'll find someone.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 04:50:46 pm »
NFC have a large minimum order - 20kgs, i think - so if your daughter has a very small flock and you didn't want to mix it with fleece from other flocks, you'd either need to store up a few years' worth, or get the processing done otherwhere.

Both Griffiths Mill and Halifax Mill will take smaller quantities. 

You'd need to make it clear you want the yarn for weaving.  I'm not sure whether any of the three mentioned make a worsted yarn, which would be preferable for the warp, but if they know you want to get a blanket woven, I assume they would be able to make half or all of the yarn higher twist, and therefore stronger for the warp. 

I would imagine you may well get offers to weave the cloth, for a fee of course.  Might be best to ask on UK Weavers on Ravelry, unless your chosen processor can recommend someone.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 05:06:32 pm »
You could probably make your own using a peg loom - they are fairly cheap and easy to make.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 05:18:50 pm »
You could probably make your own using a peg loom - they are fairly cheap and easy to make.

It'd be a big thick blanket, but yes.  I was going to say more of a rug, but given Azzdodd's location, maybe a raw fleece peg loom blanket would be just the thing!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 06:07:57 am »
Is it Curlew weavers in Llandysul that do processing and weaving on an individual basis.
I chatted to a stallholder at Wonderwool and I think picked up a leaflet, I'll try to find it later amongst the mountain of papers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS