Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Butting ram  (Read 2506 times)

Lswswake

• Joined Sep 2016
Butting ram
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:01:01 pm »
Hello all -im sure its been asked before but i couldnt find a question that matched my situation. We have a 3 year old tup weve had since september. Ive never had any problems with him at all -he was straight in with ewes when he arrived. We seperated them at lambing and hes been on his own since and was still friendly. During lambing a horse got into the field with him and ever since hes been butting us at every chance. Are there any options to try and turn him back to friendly and keep him bearing in mind yesterday he dropped our neighbour -who owns the field -to the floor?  Thank you!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Butting ram
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:33 pm »
I wonder if he was injured by the horse which is making him bad tempered?

If it's a change in his aggression levels, or he's reverting to what he was like before you bought him (do you know what he was like before he came to you?) well you can't afford to keep a tup which attacks anyone, but especially a visitor.  I think you knew the answer when you asked the question - change your tup.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 06:26:34 am »
I'd put him back with the ewes asap. When you wean the lambs put him with the ram lambs. I think its a mistake to keep any animal alone, especially animals that would never choose to live like that - he's probably very insecure, or maybe he sees anyone who approaches him as challenging him? either way, with company I think he'll be much happier

Lswswake

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:32:36 am »
Thanks - im not sure what he was like before we got him but were told he was fine. I was planning on putting the ram lambs in so hopefully that will help!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 01:10:05 pm »
What ever the reason , he now knows that he is stronger than people and is dangerous , IF you REALLY want to keep him then you need to show him that you are dominant  .  A water pistol and squirt him in the face any time he looks like butting or  staple half a plastic feed bag to a meter length of water pipe it makes a a noise if waved  , distracts him  ( usefull for moving sheep ) or if really necessary to give him  whack .  D'ONT TURN YOUR BACK ON HIM   .     NEVER good to have a sheep on its own

Lswswake

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 11:27:08 pm »
Thank you - for more ideas. Ill update when weve tried it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS