Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blackhead in Chickens  (Read 1620 times)

thesuffolksmallholding

• Joined Jan 2017
Blackhead in Chickens
« on: April 19, 2017, 06:22:44 pm »
Hi,
I am thinking of getting some turkeys June time to raise for Christmas dinner this year. However someone recently told me about a disease called blackhead, and that it I shouldn't keep turkeys because it would put my chickens at risk of contracting this disease. Is this correct?
I wouldn't be keeping them in with my chickens, but they would be a couple of metres away from their enclosure?
So... will blackhead be a problem?

NewToThis

• Joined Jan 2015
Re: Blackhead in Chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:34:36 am »
A lot of people do keep them together (We don't, more for practical reasons than anything else).

As I understand it, although chickens can carry blackhead they don't generally suffer symptoms, where as for Turkeys it can be fatal.

I think it is spread via faeces?? So 2 meter separation  should be fine, I myself am not too worried about it with ours and just add apple cider vinegar to both turkey and chicken water anyway. I think there is something you can add to the feed too - cayenne maybe?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 02:36:18 pm »
Cayenne pepper helps chickens with blackhead but doesn't save turkeys.

I left a run in a separate field open to the elements for a year before putting a few turkeys on it - they were for Christmas so were only on there for a few months - and they were fine, though that's no guarantee, of course, it's the only time we had turkeys and there were only 4 of them.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 03:34:00 pm »
Ours are kept next to each other (mesh fence in between) as our adult male will try and mount the hens. Never so far had a problem with blackhead. Turkeys are more susceptible when young and ours were totally separate until grown. You must worm regularly as blackhead is a protozoan parasite which can be present in poultry worms and earthworms and can be caught from wild birds anyway. Good luck with them!

:thumbsup:
Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS