Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First time turkeys  (Read 1723 times)

Lilljoho

• Joined Mar 2013
First time turkeys
« on: April 14, 2017, 06:26:23 pm »
Hi

No real idea what I'm doing but if I get day old Norfolk black turkeys now will they be ready for Christmas. Or will they be to big?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: First time turkeys
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:20:56 am »
What size are you aiming for and do you need them to be fresh at xmas? If your offered a good deal now or its a good time I'd go for it and cull in 6 months and freeze the birds, or just let them run on and have bigger birds? I hatch small batches of turkey eggs and sell them on at 4 weeks and usually hatch my own early as people aren't that interested in buying them until September

Lilljoho

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 08:46:51 am »
So they'll be ok just maybe big. I was hoping to raise them as free range as possible without pushing too much food into them. Does that work or will I get big frames with no meat on my them?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:14:25 am »
You could reeze them around 5-6 months as mentioned and take some stress out of your Christmas preparations (plus livestock is easier to look after in October than December if you're a wuss like me temperature sensitive  :) ) , or wait until June / July and have them fresh. Too old = less tender meat.

They need a lot more space (turkey pooh = chicken pooh x 100) and they'll roost up in a tree given half the chance. They need a good shelter as well as they don't do too well in cold, wet weather.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 12:18:22 pm »
The feed conversion rate of poults declines the older they get. 

NewToThis

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 09:39:43 am »
They need a lot more space (turkey pooh = chicken pooh x 100) and they'll roost up in a tree given half the chance. They need a good shelter as well as they don't do too well in cold, wet weather.

Totally agree on roosting up a tree (or in my case they favour a barn roof!) Mine refuse to use any shelter and prefer to perch out in all weathers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS