Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weed seedling control!  (Read 1607 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
Weed seedling control!
« on: April 08, 2017, 08:52:40 am »
I (perhaps a bit over enthusiastically) planted potatoes and onions about 3 weeks ago and covered with fleece. I've just removed the fleece to take a look and have lots of pots and onions coming up, but also millions of weed seedlings!

What do you do in this instance? There's no way I can hand weed that area. I'm worried hoeing will risk damaging the small veg just getting started. Should I just mulch over the top, around the veg? If so, what would you mulch with? I have a pile of well rotted farmyard manure (the cheap option) or some bags of bought compost (the expensive option - have run out of homemade compost)

Bit of a rooky question I know, so hoping someone more knowledgeable can help! Thanks!

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
Re: Weed seedling control!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 09:21:35 am »
I would hoe any areas you can, leave to die off for a day or two and then mulch- grass clippings work well if you don't smother the new shoots

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:39:05 am »
Ok thanks [member=97412]Terry T[/member] - just fresh grass clippings straight from the lawn mower?

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 12:13:31 pm »
Yes, up to 2 inches ish...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 12:26:29 pm »
For next year, just before you expect the veg shoots to emerge, take a weed wand across the bed.  This frazzles the weed seedlings but your veg are still protected by the soil.
If you're not using fleece, to tell when the veg seedlings are about to emerge, take a small piece of glass to cover a small patch at one end of the row.  The instant you see your crop seedlings beginning to appear, take your weed wand over the rest of the bed.  The rest of the crop seedlings will emerge a couple of days later to a clean seedbed (hand weed the bit where the glass was).  This works particularly well for carrots which take a long time to emerge, so can soon be swamped by weeds.

For this year, if your pot leaves have emerged, then you can earth them up, so the leaves are under the soil. This destroys annual weed seedlings (or at least gives them a fright) and protects the shoots from frost. Then sprinkle a not too thick layer of grass clippings between the rows.
For the onions, I've found that the only safe thing to do is to hand weed.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS