Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving 2 sheep across a road  (Read 4971 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Moving 2 sheep across a road
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:05:52 pm »
Any tips? Our neighbour has a 0.5acre patch of ground that he will let us put the sheep on. It's overgrown so not great nutrition. We want to put our 2 not in lamb ewes on it as they are being boisterous with the in lamb girls and they can help get it under control. 

There is a road between our gate and thier gate though. How do I get the sheep across? I thought about walking them one by one (two adults) but I'm worried about them getting away from us and doing a runner! I thought about halters but as they haven't worn them I'm not sure it will work. Our other option is the trailer which seems like a lot of work for such a small distance but seems like the safest.  Any tips? They will follow my husband to the ends of the earth but with there being a road I'm reluctant to rely on that.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Moving 2 sheep across a road
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:48:57 pm »
I would halter (as a precaution) but don't pull  sheep.... push and move ......just keep hold of halter incase of escape attempt.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 02:45:08 pm »
With Zwartbles, I'd go with that suggestion, certainly.

Yours are Castlemilks though, right?  In which case I wouldn't take any chances, and would get the trailer.

Once, through sheer desperation, two of us carried a sheep a short distance by the legs, as if we were going to give it birthday bumps. I wouldn't recommend that though!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 02:47:07 pm »
Halters. Halter train them, it isn't hard.  Or carry them :).

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 03:07:49 pm »
I've seen photos of Soay being transported in a wheelbarrow. Not tried it myself though!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 03:21:43 pm »
Hobble both pairs of legs and tip them on their backs into a wheelbarrow ....?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 03:54:28 pm »
I guess that works..... but what of the trust you've lost in the process?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 04:14:22 pm »
How busy is the road?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 04:29:23 pm »
I agree with haltering. Walk behind and they will automatically move away from you. Much easier than dragging from the front. Just guide their heads if they're going the wrong way.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 04:45:33 pm »
What's the worst thing that can happen if you use the trailer?

What's the worst thing that can happen if you walk them (halter or not)?

What does your liability insurance say, particularly in its exclusions?

Is more practice moving the trailer and getting them loaded a waste of time or a good opportunity? You clearly have some uncertainty and discomfort at the non-trailer options so use the trailer and have greater peace of mind - you won't be as stressed and perhaps neither will they.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 04:57:12 pm »
I think it depends how busy the road is and how far the gate is away from your property.

We had to move a Soay ewe on one occasion into a neighbouring field. Her lamb had managed to get out and we needed her to entice it to us.

She is not halter trained but we did have a halter. We put the halter on and used a bucket of food to persuade her to move slowly along. If she stopped we gently moved her along and hubbie carried her part of the way. Strangely enough our Soay don't seem to mind being carried.

Our lane hardly sees a car though an any passing vehicles would most likely be farmers and would have waited well back.

On a busier road I would definitely use the trailer. Less stressful in the long run.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 04:57:30 pm »
Have you been feeding them...if so they will follow the bucket..or bag they are used to being fed from. 

Or else feed them for a week first ..then they will follow.

Move at a time when the road is quiet...eg sunday morning early..

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 06:05:58 pm »
Recently had exactly the same quandary with 6 shearlings. Road is a B road but quite busy. Entrance is off set rather than directly across, then sharp right into the field.   I concluded it was no real trouble to put them in the trailer and attach it to the quad and takes all of the road risk out of the equation (assuming I can drive !). They would probably have followed a bucket across, but probably wasn't good enough. Risk assessment is as Black Sheep describes. If I was on Crete I would have stopped the traffic and taken 200 across.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 10:36:38 pm »
We used to move our whole flock across the road and back.  Once they'd done it once, they would just make a dash for the field they were going to and take seconds to cross.  We have moved ewes and ewes with lambs that way.
We have four people, all wearing high viz vests, one on the road each side to stop any traffic, one in front with a bucket, and one behind in case of any which change their minds - which they don't.
Moving single tups is different - halter plus two people.   When we bring several tups across at tupping time, we use the trailer, just to make sure we decant the right one into the right group of ewes.
Several farmers round here still drove their sheep across and along roads, even the main road, always with at least two people, usually more.
The very first time we moved the sheep across the road, we were nervous as you are, so we ran hurdles across the road, with the neighbours to stop any traffic, but the sheep could see the grass on the other side, much more exciting than a strip of tarmac, so we didn't bother with the hurdles next time.
Anyone who had to stop was always enchanted at the excited leaps and bounds - never had a complaint, or a shovey driver.

However, if you're nervous, use the trailer for safety until you are more confident.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 10:08:33 am »
Halters. Halter train them, it isn't hard.  Or carry them :).

I once had to walk two Shetland wethers about a quarter of a mile (escapees!) and fashioned a halter for one from a dog lead. At first he fought me every inch but I didn't give in and before we were half-way home he was walking beside me like a Christian. So, five or ten minutes "training" will,  hopefully do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS