Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to get rid of a fox???  (Read 7639 times)

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
Re: How to get rid of a fox???
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 09:42:54 pm »
Can you put electro mesh  around the enclosure or across the path it takes to reach the pens ?    I still say  shooting it (or getting a licenced pest controller to shoot it) its the best option, but if that is out of the question you need to make it's life more difficult so it goes elsewhere

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 03:58:47 pm »
Shooting a fox is only a temporary solution. Another one will move into the territory before long.

Birchlea

• Joined Jul 2016
  • East Sussex
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2017, 12:06:06 pm »
You aren't allowed to transport a caught wild animal whether it's a fox or squirrel. Also please don't dump it in the countryside as I have to shoot enough foxes as it is where I live.
There is no simple answer other than making your birds home foxproof and that isn't easy. They know when electric fences are weak and they can chew through cheap chicken wire or dig under expensive wire. Urban foxes also hunt in daylight.
Trapping them and dropping the trap in a large water butt would work but that isn't legal either...
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food!

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2017, 01:08:26 pm »
I have heard, but not actually tried it, if you get a man to pee round the perrimiter, it's suppose to put the foxes off.

They seems to be a lot about at the moment. A fox killed my pair of geese in the earlier hours of this morning. I still can't believe how bold they can be.

Regards

Emily

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 04:50:07 pm »
I have heard, but not actually tried it, if you get a man to pee round the perrimiter, it's suppose to put the foxes off.

They seems to be a lot about at the moment. A fox killed my pair of geese in the earlier hours of this morning. I still can't believe how bold they can be.

Regards

Emily
My uncle actually tried that. Didn't work. I think our city foxes are so used to human smell everywhere they are not scared  of it
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2017, 10:19:45 pm »
Regards
Emily

Mother in law did this around our chickens field when she stayed with us ( emptied her potty , not squatting around the fence line , imagine your own rude joke here )  I even now utilize the older mans 2am effect , I may seem gross but I use a night bucket, (imagine another rude joke here involving the electric fence ). It has seemed to have some effect as foxes have kept away for some time now apart form the occasional chancer .

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2017, 09:51:10 am »
Yes I'm sure my mother in law would scare away predators as well  :innocent:

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 10:24:11 pm »
As we have no neighbours I pee outside all the time and rarely see any foxes so it could be that or that the 5 dogs are always out.

I did see a young fox around last year and sat in the bedroom watching it through the scopes on my rifle  :innocent:,
it got close but then got spooked by my wind turbine spinning as it can get quite noisy when its running so maybe the combination of all of them keeps them away.

A mate that kept having birds killed purchased 1 of these water scarers which has a motion detector built in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?&_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Water%20Jet%20Spray%20Repeller%20Cat%20Dog%20Bird%20Fox%20Rabbit%20Garden%20Pest%20Deterrent%20Scarer
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS