Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dewalt vs Bosch 18v drill?  (Read 2940 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Dewalt vs Bosch 18v drill?
« on: March 03, 2017, 06:33:23 pm »
I'm looking for a new drill and impact driver. Which one do you think is better and why:
Dewalt or Bosch?
Both 18v
Both around the same price.

Not sure which one to choose???
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
Re: Dewalt vs Bosch 18v drill?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:51:18 pm »
Neither... I'm a Makita man :)

Seriously, if you think you might want to build up a set of tools have a look at the range and then choose. I've got half a dozen different Makita cordless tools but only need one charger and a couple of batteries, so it works out reasonably priced. Ebay is generally the best place to buy, cheaper than Screwfix etc.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 06:59:59 pm »
I'm on my third DeWalt cordless drill now (the batteries eventually die, and it's cheaper to replace the drill than the batteries). Apart from that, which will happen to any make, I can't fault them in any way. I must have had hundreds of hours of use from mine.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 08:47:20 pm »
That's the thing!
My father's tools are all bosch!
My father in law all makita
And the guy I work with has dewalt drill. I know makita and dewalt are really good.

I think it all comes to which colour you like the most lol
Makita and dewalt come with nice storage boxes. Both makita and bosch are on offer at the moment - around 150 for drill + impact driver + bag.
I think b&q was even cheaper. And I get discount from them from the trade card and I'll take my grandad on Wednesday to get 10% more discount...

Hmm so far all my own tools were bosch but as you mentioned there is often no point of replacing battery, instead it's better to get new drill! That's exactly why I'm researching them
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 10:37:37 pm »
I just bought a Makita drill and impact driver the other day. I was a bit like you wondering what the difference is but a good builder friend uses Makita so based on that I just thought it would be more reliable.

I went for the 10.8V rather than the 18V as it was a little cheaper, they're supposedly a little lighter and I just thought they'd be sufficient for all my needs.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:15:16 am »
Consider the batteries as they are half the cost of the item.  Do Bosch or Dewalt do other tools that you would want that use the same batteries?  If so, pick the brand that provides the most flexibility for you.  Or if you already have other tools in the same group that use the same batteries then stick with those.

I'd go for Dewalt personally.  I have a lot of bosch stuff but for drills that are going to get a lot of abuse I pick the yellow ones :).

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 10:16:12 am »
makita or dewalt

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 05:59:19 pm »
I bought Makita 2 1/2 years ago when we bought our place. It's had loads of use and both drill and batteries are going strong.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 10:56:56 pm »
Makita all the way here.

Worth finding a good supplier too as any faulty equipment gets replaced without the need to fill out the extra extended warranty forms as the supplier just sends it back through the channels without all the needless paperwork.

Dont buy off the internet!!!

Equipment like this is a major investment and should last for at least 4 years

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS