Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poultry business  (Read 1789 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
poultry business
« on: March 02, 2017, 02:36:41 pm »
hi
i cant really say where i work but....i work with young people some vulnerable some not
but we have a big area of ground and pond that has chickens and ducks and
the area is around 3 acres all enclosed so no predators

on site we have a large kitchen and coffee shop that supplies food and there are over 500 people in the establishment

one of my plans has always been to create a free range egg laying area and it wouldnt nescesary have to make profit bbut at least break even

i was thinking of 300 bird facility

the kitchens/coffee shop buy in around 900 eggs per week

i reckon with 900 birds we could cover the amount needed to supply the establishment plus sell to staff
and in the mean time cut down on carbon footprint ect , whilst also accrediting the young people with some qualification such as business animal husbandry etc

so i suppose what i would like to know is

have any of you got the same sort of set up and without going into great detail have some costing and profits so to speak

,also i know i would have to inform defra and the enviromental health etc

thanks in advance

follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: poultry business
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 10:15:43 pm »
Not many people on here running at that scale but I have over 60 hens and can show you how to cost everything. It's not difficult to work out. I'll get figures tomorrow for you. The problems that you'll incure over 200 birds isn't worth the hassle unless you go big and I mean big so if I were you I'd stick to under 200 that's the magic number otherwise welfare and records become more of an issue than they are worth tbh. But once your registered as a packing centre and a producer you can ask these questions with your representative.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 02:50:38 pm »
Ye that sounds great I thought it was under 3 but 200 works also
Thanks

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:32:47 pm »
Not many people on here running at that scale but I have over 60 hens and can show you how to cost everything. It's not difficult to work out. I'll get figures tomorrow for you. The problems that you'll incure over 200 birds isn't worth the hassle unless you go big and I mean big so if I were you I'd stick to under 200 that's the magic number otherwise welfare and records become more of an issue than they are worth tbh. But once your registered as a packing centre and a producer you can ask these questions with your representative.

HI if you are not busy could you send me the details of the costings
please
thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS