Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Frustration!!!  (Read 1267 times)

SuffolkK

• Joined Feb 2017
Frustration!!!
« on: February 28, 2017, 11:31:00 am »
Slept though alarm at 3am, arrived in barn at 6am, 2 ewes had lambed. At first glance I thought fab a double and a single. On getting into pen, I then find one dead lamb (very small), 1 that had got itself trapped in a hurdle but standing up and the other 3 not sure which their mothers were. SO then the dilemma to try and sort. Think I have it sorted - 1 ewe has 3 lambs and the other has the single. I have given the smaller lambs colostrum but should I have tried to foster one of the triplets onto the ewe with the single. She already tried to kill the one that wasn't hers and really threw it up in the air. One thing for sure, I am setting even more alarm clocks tonight!!! :-\

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Frustration!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:04:15 pm »
You could have tried fostering if you have the means to do it. Are your triplets even sized? I have had a suffulk rear three lambs and they all grew equally.

SuffolkK

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 12:50:38 pm »
I did think about fostering but its not really practical for me. All the lambs are of equal size and I am happy to keep 'topping them up' if required

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 12:59:57 pm »
I didn't need to top mine up with milk but I did give them access to creep feed as they grew on.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 08:14:13 pm »
I would have done the same as you and kept the 3 with their mother and topped up. It's a lot easier to spend a few weeks topping up a willing lamb (maybe just once  day) with milk than trying to force a murderous ewe, several times a day, to feed it.
You can of course wait till they are on concentrates before you give them any extra, and I've done that with later lambs when there is plenty of clean spring grass. But unless you're incredibly lucky a ewe cannot adequately feed 3 lambs.
These are early lambs and if grown to optimum potential should fetch a premium price. But unless you top them up with milk you will lose the most efficient growth phase of the first few weeks and end up with mediocre lambs that have missed the early  market.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS