Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Over fat ewes  (Read 1525 times)

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
Over fat ewes
« on: February 25, 2017, 10:01:50 pm »
I have today separated my ewes for lambing 1lamb 2 lambs and 3 lambs. They are all in very good condition. My sister in law an experienced lamber says they are in very good condition if not over conditioned. I have just over 3 weeks to go.
She suggested to continue to feed the triplets and twins but to cut out the concentrates altogether for the singles... Looking for second opinions.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Over fat ewes
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:27:24 am »
How much are you actually giving them?  Is it an 18% protein sheep nut?  At this stage in the pregnancy you're not only feeding the growth of the lamb but also supporting good milking ability after it's been born.

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 09:42:38 am »
I was giving them 2 hand full of ewe nuts each came to half a bucket between 9 of them and then filled the rest of the bucket with barley.

They also had ab lib hay at all times.

They are now indoors but as you say I don't want to cut them out altogether because I might stop the milk production. As it stands today I have them all on ab lib hay
Singles I didn't feed them today on concentrates
Twins I gave them 300g per head
Triples got 500g per head
Of ewe nuts

There not obese by the way i just don't want to make life to difficult at lambing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 10:21:07 am »
It's difficult to advise without being able to put a hand on their backs to condition score.  Mine are 11 days off the beginning of lambing and the singles are getting 150g nuts twice a day and doubles 400g twice a day.  They're still out at pasture but with ad lib hay.  There's one older, thin ewe carrying twins that's clearly got a problem with her teeth, judging by the way a lot of the nuts fall out of her mouth, and she's on 300g three times a day.  Feed at this stage is unlikely to get laid down as fat but will go into the lambs.  I've never had a problem with too-large twins, only big singles before I started this feed regime, which is why the singles' feed amount is less than half that of the doubles.  This works for both my Down and Mountain breeds.

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:31:03 am »
Well they are pure Cheviots and I'd say the condition score is 4. Maybe I should just keep the barley off them??? After all I was just giving it to them as a cheaper bulk feed. so you think that the ewe nuts aren't going to put any more weight on them as in fat stores???
I have lambed several times before. But this is my first time with Cheviots stock and they are pedigree. I have taken extra care with these girls this year.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 11:47:56 am »
I think the advantage with ewe nuts is the protein content is a known quantity.  We feed a barley/wheat mix to our finishing pigs  to put on a layer of fat for crackling in the last four weeks - don't known how similar the physiology is, though!  If you can keep them at CS 4 then ratchet the feed down the week after lambing milk production should take some of the condition off the ewes.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 12:26:43 pm »
Hill sheep on good hay or grass shouldn't need help to produce a single.  But you could cause more stress with a sudden change in diet.  Personally I would gradually wean the singles off any cake at all. 

I've never fed pure barley to sheep.  I would hope that hill types bred pure really don't need lots of protein to produce a decent pair of twins.  So if it were me, with Cheviots bred to a Cheviot tup, I would personally be feeding the twins a 16% stockblend to condition, with a pre-lambing lick available.  But I wouldn't severely cut rations, so in your circs I might start to 'tone down' what they're getting - maybe replace some of the nuts and barley with some soaked sugar beet. 

Triplets I probably wouldn't mess with.  They'll need all the help they can get, and you certainly don't want to stress them by reducing their rations this close to lambing.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 12:34:34 pm »
Barley can have anything up to 18% protein on its own with 12% as the oft quoted figure . so if I read your post correctly you have been giving twins 600g  of roughly 15% protein ? this would explain the condition  and is to much for one feed .   You say cheviot but which ones  ? what age ? and I assume pure lambs  .      Reads as if your land or management is too good for the breed , they can put on condition very easily

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 04:05:26 pm »
MY draft ( 6yrs + ) hill northies are 5 wks from lambing  cs 3  and on 300gms per day singles and twins  and the singles will stay on this amount right up to lambing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS