Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moles  (Read 2110 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Moles
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:57:27 pm »
I have so many molehills in my paddock. (Conwy) It looks as if my most of my neighbours are having the same problem. Are there more this year than usual? My immediate neighbour grazes my paddock with his sheep and so I am not suffering any particular losses but should I be doing something about them? If so, what is the going rate for a mole catcher?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Moles
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 05:21:58 pm »
Round our way, £7 to £9 per mole depending on the terrain.

That sounds like a lot, but actually our friend who 'does the mole' reckons a good week is one where he makes minimum wage.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 05:22:33 pm »
Funny you should say that!

We always have a good many but are particularly well off for them this year  ::) Mid Wales

Have spent a happy hour this afternoon with my daughter, collecting them up for some big veg pots that we are trying out this year.

Our neighbour did give my son some mole catching lessons but he wasn't a good pupil and caught none!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 05:34:39 pm »
Masses this year ....  barely a gap between the moles hills in one paddock .... but here in Wales I try to think of them as drainage diggers!!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:13:45 pm »
Apart I suppose from reduced grazing for a while can they cause problems for sheep? Thought I read somewhere about a disease that.could be caused by organisms in disturbed earth?

I try to look at them positively, maybe breaking up the waterlogged soil. ???

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 06:27:23 pm »
My OH is setting traps on a neighbouring farm. 34 moles caught since Christmas.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 06:46:40 pm »
By turning up the earth, moles expose sheep to ingesting soil and this in turn can lead to listeriosis.  Also, if there are moles in the lambing field, for some reason ewes are irresistably drawn to dumping their newborn lambs onto the hills.  So you have a filthy muddy lamb, which even its mum doesn't want to lick.  A very heavily pregnant ewe can, especially on a slope, roll over a molehill and be left stuck and unable to get up - here 'cowped'.

It's surprising how few moles it takes to cause a whole lot of hills.

If you have a shotgun, one way to get them is to creep up to the freshest molehill.  Wait until you see the soil moving then fire straight down the hole.
Dogs can dig them out if they have patience and can wait until the mole is just about at the surface.

If you're going to use mole traps, make sure you rub them in soil and leave them to age for a bit before using them.  Then don't handle them with your hands, as moles have an excellent sense of smell.  The man who showed us how to do it, always wore the same manky old pair of rubber gloves to handle the traps and to lift out the dead moles.  Don't forget to mark where you've buried the traps.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:52:00 pm »
Lots here too; I had thought that I was being invaded from my neighbour  (who seems to have lost the battle on his side) but maybe it's just this year.

I was thinking of asking on here for recommendations for mole traps just today, as the two scissor traps I've been using are not enough. Also I've got a particularly wily one that just won't fall for the scissor trap.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 06:59:14 pm »
Not good to bale them into your haylage or hay either.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 10:54:43 pm »
Of course having lots of moles shows that you have good, fertile soil.  The moles are there to catch earthworms.  Modern farm practices such as frequent mechanical work and the use of pesticides reduce worm populations drastically, so fewer moles.  Good rich soil which has had plenty of muck on and no pesticides, or organically managed ancient pasture, will encourage earthworms, and so moles.  I'd rather have the moles than no worms  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS