Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding bruised barley to hens  (Read 2726 times)

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
Feeding bruised barley to hens
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:51:08 pm »
just bought in bruised barley. I am feeding it to the sheep but was mixing it in with the layers pellets. I read over the internet that hens can digest barley is this true. Does anyone else feed the hen barley.

I'm keen to add a mixer to the layers pellets to help reduce the cost of feed.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Feeding bruised barley to hens
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:13:20 am »
I would only give it to hens in a scattering of seed to keep their crop full overnight in cold weather.  Layers pellets are expensive but they're formulated to keep the birds in good health.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:42:42 am »
I feed my hens barley over winter, they love it. From about now onwards though they are on straight layers pellets, and I found if they have barley because I've not managed to get to the feed store for a couple of days then their laying is affected.

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:15:11 pm »
Yeh I'm convinced they lay better on layers pellets but the feed is massively more expensive than grains. So I'm debating whether it's worth sparing some eggs in order to drop the feed cost slightly, I don't want to take them off layers altogether but trying diffrent approaches

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:55:28 pm »
 More economical to feed your layers a proper balanced diet for max egg production than to fed them less and get fewer eggs. You still have to feed birds that aren't laying. So you'd be better saving money by reducing your birds in number and feeding for optimum production than reducing their feed and getting fewer eggs/bird.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 12:21:48 pm »
Yeh I'm convinced they lay better on layers pellets but the feed is massively more expensive than grains. So I'm debating whether it's worth sparing some eggs in order to drop the feed cost slightly, I don't want to take them off layers altogether but trying diffrent approaches

I get barley for nothing but will still buy layers, it will make your hens fat and take them a while to get back laying again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS