Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Encouraging someone to lose weight  (Read 9371 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Encouraging someone to lose weight
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2017, 12:07:58 pm »
 A heart attack maybe?  Provided it isn't severe enough to kill him.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 12:12:48 pm »
A large, full length mirror in the bathroom that you can't avoid looking in when you step out of the shower gives you a scare every day.  Doesn't make the weight fall off though  :'(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 01:23:08 pm »
And mirrored wardrobes  :innocent: - I hate the bloody things!  :rant: I've covered up one of them with pretty patterned film. :thumbsup:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 03:07:53 pm »
I think it's really sad that we - as a culture - think that nagging and shaming someone is a good, effective way to help them. It really isn't. A person knows how big (or not) they are, and I struggle to think of anyone who wouldn't know that "eat more vegetables, less sugar, and take a walk" is a good start.

So, we come to "why are they not doing this?" and you open a whole can of worms. Maybe the problem is physical. Maybe they are malnourished in terms of vitamins, so their body drives them to eat ANYTHING in an attempt to extract nutrition (I've noticed I'm prone to this). Maybe they are depressed, and think they are not worthy of good food and good health. Maybe they have so much going on that they have no time to cook or walk. Perhaps they are now in a state where moving and standing to cook causes physical pain.

I don't have an answer, but what I think I would do in a similar situation is:
Give the guy a break. Don't be another negative voice. Don't even mention it.
Offer to share healthy things, e.g. if you're seeing each other for lunch, or going on a nice stroll round the local park. But don't have this be the focus of any time you spend together. Do other stuff!
Perhaps - depending how close you are - find out if there is a hobby or a passion they want to do/try. Encourage that. Sounds like he has a rough home life, so any respite can only be a good thing. Maybe he'll decide later that he needs to change his lifestyle to be able to particpate fully in the hobby. Maybe he won't.
Remember he is his own responsibility. YOUR smart move for YOU might be working on accepting that. You could be a good friend, but you can't wave a magic wand. The consequences are not your responsibility.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 06:24:21 pm »
Iyou can get carb free noodles and rice made from konjac Flour ( smells like feet but once cooked smells and tastes fine.
You're not selling it ......

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 01:18:27 am »
A large, full length mirror in the bathroom that you can't avoid looking in when you step out of the shower gives you a scare every day.  Doesn't make the weight fall off though  :'(

I am adept at NOT seeing myself get out of bed despite the full size mirrored doors on our wardrobe.  :roflanim:

Somewhat offf topic but if any of you use disabled toilets, have you noticed how many off them have the mirror directly opposite the actual toilet. Don't know about you, but watching myself is not something I ever want to do while mid-pee (or worse).

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 01:21:56 am »

I am adept at NOT seeing myself get out of bed despite the full size mirrored doors on our wardrobe.  :roflanim:

Somewhat offf topic but if any of you use disabled toilets, have you noticed how many off them have the mirror directly opposite the actual toilet. Don't know about you, but watching myself is not something I ever want to do while mid-pee (or worse).

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 09:17:42 am »
Maybe let him read this thread!!!

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 12:34:55 pm »
Iyou can get carb free noodles and rice made from konjac Flour ( smells like feet but once cooked smells and tastes fine.
You're not selling it ......

:roflanim: We do call it foot rice in our house. Works well when cutting weight

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2017, 02:18:32 pm »
Update on this... well, my friends diet has taken a  nose dive.  For a year he's claimed he's on a diet and he's lost no weight.  Given that his BMR is around 3,500 calories, he isn't making changes.  He came here and bought lunch from a garage, he had a French stick, a pack of ham in it, a pack of cheese on top, some tomatoes, a giant packet of chilli dorito's and a packet of chocolate hobnobs.  He said it was a "treat", but you couldn't eat all of that unless you were used to it. 

His next step will be an electric invalid chair and death :(

He's just lying about his eating and until he stops that nothing will work.

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2017, 08:31:58 pm »
Until the person themselves are ready to lose weight then all the pushing in the world cannot achieve it.

I have been on a number of diets on a number of accessions and lost some then drifted back.  that is despite having a heart attack and a triple bypass.  for me, it came together last Nov and i am dieting, losing weight and finding it not too hard.  I am not a zealot at it and still go off the rails, but only for a night, or a trip away and then back onto it.... lost 4 inches off my waist and 2 stone so far (wife is better than me at 3 stone plus )

just beware as pushing too hard when they are not ready, may result in the opposite reaction and they eat more

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 08:00:18 am »
If wife is thin and boys threaten suicide there is much more going on here than bad diet. 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS