Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling goose eggs  (Read 3930 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Selling goose eggs
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:50:45 pm »
Does anyone sell goose eggs for eating?

We sold eggs to family and friends last year and all but 1 loved them. We are hoping to have a little stall at the farm gate this year and sell goose and chicken eggs and other bits but I'm unsure how to sell the goose eggs. With friends and family we tended to fill up old cereal boxes with goose eggs abd kitchen paper for the journey home but I doubt that will go down well selling to strangers! We got decent sized eggs from them, up to 180g, so I don't think the extra large egg boxes will cut it and the only goose egg boxes I can find are from the States or China with a min. order of 10,000!

Do you sell them singly or in multiples? I saw some Amercian boxes for a 1/2 dozen but I'm not sure anyone would want to buy that many in a go.

Any advice?

Dans
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:17:47 pm by Dans »
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Selling goose eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 05:58:37 pm »
Have a look on ebay

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:19:15 pm »
hmmm, now I'm wondering if my search skills are failing. I can see a bunch of chicken, duck or turkey egg boxes but the only one that comes up for goose is the polystyrene postage boxes for 4 eggs. Are those the ones you mean?

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:27:27 pm »
Whenever I have seen them for sale they have been sold individually. Around here last year they were 70-80 pence each.
Heather

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 09:05:45 pm »
The folks who lived here before us said they had people queuing up to pay £1.50 a piece for goose eggs.

I'm afraid we found we couldn't give them away!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:20:59 pm »
[member=2128]Womble[/member] when you were trying to sell them was it just loose?

[member=29775]madchickenlady[/member] do you mean they were just loose or were they in a box of any kind?

Thanks

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 09:25:08 pm »
They were just loose with paper bags to put them in on purchase.
Heather

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 09:28:33 pm »
Yes, just loose. I tried giving goose eggs to our regular hen's egg customers. They enjoyed the laugh and the novelty value, but even at that, they were a hard sell, and nobody came back for more  :( .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 10:41:53 pm »
Ok might try just loose to start with as I'm having a hard time finding a box to put them in.

It's funny how people's tastes differ. We had lots of family and friends that were repeat customers (although in each case we did give them the first one free) but two that weren't so keen. One was my step-dad and the other was a friend. I didn't get feedback from my step dad but the friend said it was 'too eggy'. We even bought a female gosling last year to add to the flock as we were running out of goose eggs at one point.

If no-one buys from the gate I'm sure we will still get through them with the friends and family sales and our own consumption. It will be interesting to see though. If there's no interest I might try a free goose egg with every box of chicken eggs to see if that entices.

Thanks again

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31:44 am »
I find the same with duck eggs, folks either love them or hate them! Me and OH both find them too rich except for baking which is a shame as we have twice the number of ducks to hens!  :&> :&> :chook:
Heather

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 06:26:29 pm »
Hi Dans/All
My family Business was poultry + Eggs
Me+my wife used to supply shops,cafe`s etc and have a stall outside our old house
We sold Goose eggs for £1.50 each and would put some old cut down cardboard egg trays outside,we had so many passing customers that we could sell 30 + a day,quite a few people had them for crafting,i think they made Faberge type eggs.
I love mine with homecured bacon  :hungry:

IF YOU CANT SELL AT THE GATE PUT THEM ON EBAY IF YOU THINK THEY MAY BE FERTILE,FETCHING GOOD MONEY CURRENTLY AND YOU CAN BUY GOOSE EGG TRAYS FOR POSTING ON THERE.

5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS