Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Costing extension materials, Website, advice or any suggestions?  (Read 2916 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
We live in a 3 bed house and would like to knock down an old, single storey extension at the back and build a two storey extension in its place. Downstairs would be entrance hall, storage cupbords, utility room and shower room and upstairs, new family bathroom and 4th bedroom/ study.

We want to do the work ourselves; the farm employs people who can do building, carpentry, etc,.

I've got quotes from architects and have looked up relevant building regs and spoken to local council planning department and they are fairly happy with what I've sketched/described/drawn up with computer software. We can claim vat back because it's a business property.

But we are limited by cost, although the farm owners (family) won't commit to a budget untill I provide full costing for the project. I have messed around with the plans, 5x6m is ok but as you can imagine, 6x8m would be better! The farm want an actual costing of all materials, not an approximately £1000/m2 figure.

Carpets, light fittings, bathrooms, etc, I am happy with, but blocks/bricks/cement/joists/electric cable/damp course?/water pipe/etc I am unfamiliar with. I wondered if anyone can recommend a list of materials typically used on such projects or if there are any good websites that might be helpful for highlighting what we might use and need to cost?

I know the architects will work some of this out, but there's a good chance we'll end up changing the plans depending on what the farm says once they have the costings and then we'll have to get plans redrawn, and spend more money out of the questionable budget! Bit of a catch 22.

Thanks for any suggestions!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:15:43 pm by Steph Hen »

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Costing extension materials, Website, advice or any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 02:24:01 pm »
Hi  :wave:

Go up to orchard timber in Forfar and get advise ree costings from them. When building this place they were very helpful
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 02:52:34 pm »
Cool! Thanks for that tip!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 02:15:50 pm »
Hi  :wave:

Go up to orchard timber in Forfar and get advise ree costings from them. When building this place they were very helpful

Did they make the timber frame for you or just supply all the wood?
Did they have own carpenters to erect frames for you?  Thanks x

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:30:01 pm »
We just got our supples there, a local joiner built the frame
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 06:33:23 pm »
Worth spending a bit on a quantity surveyor to spec it for you? Might save an awful lot of time and provide the assurance it sounds like is needed.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 09:00:33 pm »
Worth spending a bit on a quantity surveyor to spec it for you? Might save an awful lot of time and provide the assurance it sounds like is needed.

Yes, this sounds like a good idea! I'm struggling to find out numbers that I need, like dimensions of timber for different parts of the frame, distance between frame components, etc. Going to need help to progress this on!
There also seem to be different types of timber framed construction methods. As it stands, I can't do this.

Do you know what information a quantity surveyor normally works with? I was under the impression they were employed after architects had come up with detailed drawings and construction methods?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:03:15 pm by Steph Hen »

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 05:31:40 pm »
This whole thing isn't really possible so I've given up. We will fix up what we have and maybe get a conservatory. Thanks for your replies, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS