Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent. Piglets without sow  (Read 5282 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Re: Urgent. Piglets without sow
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 06:24:05 pm »
I reared 5 4hr old piglets back in April. Everyone told me they would die. None of them did! I used pig milk powder in syringes to start with, then onto my kids old bottles then onto lamb bottles on feeding racks. They did amazingly and three are off to slaughter this week! The other two girls are in pig. It is all totally possible!

Can you tell me how often you fed during first 48 hours - especially at night! We currently have a weak piglet born yesterday evening away from her mother as been too weak to feed from her.

Jim Steel

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Urgent. Piglets without sow
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 06:03:25 pm »
Hi folks.
The pigs we took on at the behest of the SSPCA and Local Authority welfare officers are now beginning to resemble pigs again, growing nicely and putting on weight. It's taken a while but getting there. We still have a few that are a bit behind but the majority are in a position to be shifted on. I've put an advert in the market place section of the forum. There has been a wee problem with inbreeding and some of them are a bit on the 'ugly' side but should make good sausages and burgers. We won't be difficult to deal with as basically looking to recoup what we've put in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS