Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird nesting boxes  (Read 1709 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
bird nesting boxes
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:05:40 am »
We have one nest box in the garden which has been up for ages and is very popular.  Now that our trees and hedges on the smallholding are bigger, and we have a long open-fronted implement shed ideal for nesting, we decided to get a whole load more nest boxes.
To start off with, it's just 4 tit boxes and 4 wren/robin boxes, all from the RSPB.  They arrived today and look very sturdy and well made.  They should really have gone up in November apparently, but I'm sure a bird or two will like them.  It's forecast to be gales here tomorrow but once the wind has died down we'll get them up.
I can't wait to see if we get any takers  :yippee:

I know we could have made the boxes, but there are so many other more important things to do that it seemed a justifiable extravagance.

If they are a success we just might try an owl box - there are plenty of owls so one might use it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
Re: bird nesting boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 12:10:30 am »
I've just started putting up owl boxes. I've seen barn owls and heard tawny's...went up to the land this past weekend and found pellets right below one of the nestboxes so have my fingers crossed for some possible owlets later this year.  ;D

I love nestboxes in general; gives you a chance to see what's really nesting. Easy to get obsessed with watching them!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS