Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toilet seat falling down  (Read 14670 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Toilet seat falling down
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:57:41 pm »
OK, this one's a bit random, but I have a problem!

Our toilet seat broke a few months ago, so I fitted a new one. All was well for a month or so, but then the hinges started to free up a bit, and the seat now won't stay up on its own (well, sometimes it does, but that's only to lull you into a false sense of security so it can surprise you at an inopportune moment  ;) ).

I fitted it as far forward as I could, but the problem is really that the cistern itself is mounted too far forward relative to the toilet bowl.

Can anybody think of a way I can either get it to balance better, or gum up the hinges up a bit so that it stays up of its own accord?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Toilet seat falling down
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 09:11:41 pm »

(well, sometimes it does, but that's only to lull you into a false sense of security so it can surprise you at an inopportune moment  :roflanim:

Sorry I can't be of help, imagining this scenario made me laugh
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:26:09 pm »
you can get neodynium magnets coated in plastic.. that might work  with a thin painted/coated steel foil on the seat - or better flush fitted (couldn't resist)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 09:35:37 pm »
or just sit down....
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 09:49:54 pm »
First thought was velcro, then I thought a bit more ;D

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 10:10:23 pm »
I fitted it as far forward as I could, but the problem is really that the cistern itself is mounted too far forward relative to the toilet bowl.

Can anybody think of a way I can either get it to balance better, or gum up the hinges up a bit so that it stays up of its own accord?  ;D

I can't quite picture the problem but what about some sort of tying device attached to the cistern?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 12:08:28 am »
First thought was velcro, then I thought a bit more ;D

I just nearly wet myself reading that.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 05:52:14 am »
I would appear that you have purchased a "female" seat, there is nothing wrong with it, its is working as normal returning to the correct position!

pgkevet's advice is good if you dont have any "intimate" body jewelry  :innocent:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:50:57 am »
I would appear that you have purchased a "female" seat, there is nothing wrong with it, its is working as normal returning to the correct position!

pgkevet's advice is good if you dont have any "intimate" body jewelry  :innocent:

...so cheap it's made of iron?

I can't remember exactly how toilet seat hinges look.. and too lazy to go see. But if one can drill out the hinge pins then replace with a stainless steel bolt you can adjust the friction .. perhaps addng one or more stainless spring washers.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 09:05:29 am »
Loo tack - sorry I meant blue tack!

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 09:12:39 am »
Could you not get Mrs Womble to hold it up for you? :innocent:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 09:56:21 am »
Presumably then your old toilet seat kept up ok. So it's basically a slightly different design of seat. So how you deal with it depends on whether you are more time poor or money poor at the moment.
If funds allow it would be easier to purchase another seat. Obviously with your new found wisdom you would need to carefully study the design. I'm presuming you need a less chunky seat - ie not wooden - so there is a bit more room for the seat to lean back when up. Those really cheap plastic ones that bend in all directions when you sit on them would probably do.
 The other alternative is to fiddle about with it as Pgkevet suggested until you reach the desired state of perfection. However, if the hinge pin is metal you could always pour acid (Eg vinegar) onto it which, unless it is stainless, will cause it to rust and tighten up. 

Good luck with that anyway.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:58:07 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 10:11:24 am »
You can rule out moving the cistern Womble -it is close-coupled and only fits in one position. Any possible slight movement will only be achieved by taking the whole toilet out and then re-installing it. That exercise may cause leakage of the coupling seal and other issues.

As said either a new carefully selected seat or some fiddling about to alter the one you have. However tightening the hinge pins too much will result in the seat not closing.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 10:13:18 am »
This conversation needs to continue, because in two consecutive days I have laughed out loud.

:thumbsup:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 12:59:42 pm »
This conversation needs to continue, because in two consecutive days I have laughed out loud.

:thumbsup:

In which case forget the seat and use a stool

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS