Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Portable Pig Pen  (Read 2332 times)

PhilippaA

• Joined Jan 2017
Portable Pig Pen
« on: January 02, 2017, 07:47:47 pm »
We had two pigs last year, which are now in the freezer. We live in a substantial wood, and the pigs did a good job of clearing a small area, but we would like to make use of them and clear more. Does any one have ideas for portable fencing/pen which can be moved easily every couple of weeks, but is also big enough for them to run around a bit. I don't want electric as we have 4 small children.  My husband is good at DIY and could make something, but some ideas would be useful! Many thanks

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Portable Pig Pen
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:33:53 am »
Possibly pedestrian barriers like the ones used at public events but they are not cheap. Other than that I can't think of anything portable that would also be sturdy enough and suitable for a woodland with its uneven surface and wouldn't let the pigs escape during each move.

We've had small children around our pigs' electric fencing for years with no problem whatsoever, though they were always wearing wellies in case they would forget about it. But even if they would have touched it without wearing wellies, the electric shock is a bit like a bee sting, nothing terrible. Electric fencing can be made with a gate in it.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:47:37 am »
Pigs will certainly make it portable!!

I can't imagine anything but electric would work in a 'temporary' sense, the kids will learn quick enough, my neices and the dogs did

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 09:11:02 am »
Children learn about all sorts of dangers as they grow up so teach them about electric fencing. You will also need to teach the pigs so they can watch and learn. Don't expect a pig to cross anywhere you have previously had electric fencing (they don't forget) so plan gates carefully. Otherwise there isn't any other alternative fencing that you can move that will be strong enough as the pigs grow. Having strong fencing is one of the first things on any pig keepers "need to have " list.

Farming is one of the few industries that "allows" children to grow up alongside the daily activities and yes, unfortunately, there are accidents so teach them. Generally children brought up on farms are safe and have loads of commonsense!

What a great place living in a wood must be to grow up in but surely you don't worry about them climbing the trees all the time?  :eyelashes:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 05:05:57 pm »
The only way a non-electric pen would be portable is with the pigs wearing it and scampering off into the far distance.  Heavy duty fenceposts, braced at the corners and with pig netting on the inside, or a concoction of concrete, blockwork, steel posts and galvanised sheets like we have, will keep pigs where you want them to be.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 07:24:44 am »
Kids are at least as intelligent as pigs or dogs, and will very quickly learn not to touch electric fencing. We have made small temporary pens out of pallets tied together with string which work with small pigs but a large one will just throw them out of the way if they want to. To make the whole thing strong enough takes away the portability. I can't see any cost effective solution other than electric.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:00:36 pm »
One of the youtube channels I watch is Swedish homestead.

A guy in Sweden that uses only  electric fencing and he has a load of kids all under 10. I know you didn't want electric but it works well and will keep the pigs where you want.

:pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS