Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hazards of boar hire  (Read 1871 times)

kathydoyle

• Joined Jul 2013
hazards of boar hire
« on: December 29, 2016, 08:43:38 pm »
To help defray the cost of keeping my boar, I hired out his services to a couple of local pig keepers, with happy results on both sides. But that was with the sow coming here. Someone asked me if I would allow them to take him to their premises and they seemed lovely people so I agreed. The day before he was due back she phoned to say that she had found him suddenly dead. We were both quite upset, and I'm sure the people concerned did their best for him, and in fairness I know these things do happen. They paid me the hire fee and covered the cost of removing the body, but they didn't offer me any compensation and I wasn't really sure if I was entitled to ask for any.  My question is does anyone have any insurance for such an event, or perhaps people use some form of contract? I'd like to know what other people do before I think of getting another boar.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: hazards of boar hire
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:22:24 pm »
I only accept visiting sows - mostly those I've bred and sold on myself.  I know lots of lovely people whom I wouldn't trust to take one of my dogs for a walk.  If you let your boar visit the sow you don't know how much experience the hirers have, how often the pigs are fed, what their housing is like, how much the boar will be fed, whether there's a dry lie, shelter from the sun and a constant supply of clean water, whether something like erysipelas is endemic on the land, how recently the other pigs have been wormed and so on, then there is a risk which only you can decide is worth taking, or not.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 02:35:15 pm »
Hate to be suspicious but did you actually see him? Coincidence he was due to be returned?
I do think they should pay for a replacement.
Perhaps this is a warning to others to get things in writing, including insurance/replacement?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 03:39:07 pm »
This is rather a difficult one..... on the one hand I would say yes compensation they should pay for, as you have lost a valueable animal, but on the other hand they could turn around to you and say well look we have paid for all costs, so shouldn't that cover it? Very difficult. How much was the boar worth exactly and could you send them an invoice? Like others have said a contract is better, also moving a boar off the holding is very risky, for someone to hire, they would need a written paper/contract on how you keep the boar and the environment he is used to, feed, etc, etc. It might be safer to get them to bring the sow on. These sort of things do happen sometimes and I am sorry that this has happened to you :(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 03:53:28 pm »
I can't see there is any reason to believe his death was in anyway related to the fact he was away on loan. If it was then expecting some recompense would be reasonable but in the absence of any evidence that they were in any way negligent then he would have gone anyway and you would be no better or worse off.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 04:25:12 pm »
So just out of interest, Marches Farmer et al, what if I sent my sow to you to be served, and she died whilst she was with you?

Would that be the same thing, or is it different?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 04:56:44 pm »
Well, almost all the sow's owners are familiar with our set up and have contacted us for advice on piggy matters since they bought their stock from us.  We tick all the boxes on the list of stuff to look out for and keep a very close eye on all our pigs, which are in a place where folks pass by frequently throughout the day so, although it's  possible, it is unlikely that a visiting sow could have a problem we'd not spot.  If we did suspect a problem we'd contact the owner then, if they agreed, our vet and pick up the tab unless it was identified as a pre-existing problem.  We have no formal agreements in place but would offer a free replacement animal if it ever became necessary.  For us, breeding from a small number of top quality sows mainly for conservation purposes and therefore registering and selling on the best gilts, boar hire is a good way to keep the boar happy and provide a service for smallholders who love their GOS but don't want to, or have the facilities for, keeping a boar all year round.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 05:32:55 pm »
I don't think there is much you can do now in terms of compensation. Never loan any animal out without visiting the premises first.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS