Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Early signs of pregnancy?  (Read 3127 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Early signs of pregnancy?
« on: December 29, 2016, 05:26:37 pm »
I have a 10 month gilt saddleback which I have AI'd. I found it quite difficult too determine when she (and her sister) were in season because of their black colouring and barely noticeable change in size of the vulva. She was the slightly more tetchy of the two but stood still for me during the process which encourages me to think I got the timing about right. Anyhow, 21 days later I'm in the same predicament of trying to determine whether she is having another season (bad news) or not (good news). What might otherwise be the earliest signs of pregnancy?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Early signs of pregnancy?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 05:43:02 pm »
If she stood for you then you got the timing right. I'm afraid the only way you can tell she has held is whether or not she has come into season. Keep pressing on her back and if she stands AI again. My friend has saddlebacks and they might be less noticeable than my lops but the changes are there. There are no other signs at this stage. Fingers crossed for you!  :fc:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 08:17:38 am »
I find the vulva is the best predictor of brimming, rather than standing.  Watch for softening and enlargement. 

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 06:24:39 pm »
Thank you both.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 12:08:52 am »
I was wondering [member=127142]PK[/member] whether you have been successful?  Or have they shown signs of returning to heat?  I have just AI'd mine so found this thread very helpful.

I've got two follow on questions:

Given the three months, three weeks and three days takes me close to showing dates for the sheep, given the AI dates are known exactly how much over could they be (last possible farrowing date)?

What is the best book on farrowing/ care/ health?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 08:07:21 am »
I've had a first-timer go 6 days over due date.  Pig Keeping by Richard Lutwyche gives basic info without the frills.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 08:43:25 am »
I've not seen any convincing signs that the gilt I AI'd has returned to heat. There are as yet no obvious signs of pregnancy 6 weeks post AI. The problem I'm finding is that the combination of a pig with a black rear end (in this case Saddleback) and a young gilt (11 months) makes it difficult to be sure about whether she, or indeed her sister, are in season or not. I just have to wait and see on this occasion.
I have found Perfect Pigs by Clare and Robin Wilson (aka Oaklandspigs) very helpful.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 04:14:40 pm »
Thanks for the book tips, I'll get them in.

Mine are Berkshire and someone told me a few weeks back to measure the vulva, anus to tip each day. That was a really useful tip as by sight alone there was about 36 hours of maybe/ maybe not but by the time I measured the second cycle it was easy to pick up once only a few mm increase in length that the heat was starting which gives the 36 hours needed to order the bottles. I also measured the width from time to time as that expanded noticeably mid heat.   I'm hoping the same approach will indicate no season next month......

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 07:39:46 pm »
Still finding it difficult to detect whether my saddleback gilts are on heat or not but the one I AI'd eventually showed indications of pregnancy and then emphatically so. Today it produced 13 piglets plus another 2 still born. This was its first litter.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 08:12:12 pm »
Well done.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS