Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Compensation for electricity poles on land  (Read 14929 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Compensation for electricity poles on land
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 10:45:28 pm »
In England up till 1995 When I worked at BT there were all manner of way leaves .
 They were trying to get it so that for a one off payment  of around £ 87 the rental was ended & they had automatic right of access under the wireless & Telegraphy  act of 1921 to supply , repair or do adaptations at the pole

It got interesting when a pole owned by BT was paying a wayleave and the electricity board had a joint user agreement so that they could run a power cable off the same pole and vice versa. 
I can't remember what the situation was if you had the wayleave rental & the council added a street light off the pole , Though in the back of my mind at the time think that a payment was also available from the council .

Googling , " Electricity supply pole wayleaves "  or " Telegraph services pole wayleaves " , should give you a point of contact

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 03:22:27 pm »
Thanks you both (and belated Happy New Year!). I only asked because we have one electricity pole sandwiched between out fruit cage and veg plot plus two BT poles on our front boundary - a few extra pennies would not go amiss!

I'll have to investigate - now on the 2017 2Do list :excited:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 09:12:25 pm »
A lot of folk see a pole at the road side of the property & assume it is on their land .. a lot of the time the actual land it is planted in is the " Ransom strip " & that land belongs to the county or local council .

Another thing ,  as to who owns the pole or if it is way-leaved does not  or didn't use to show on the property title deeds .

Mike a farmer local to me was rubbing his hands in glee at the several dozen or so power poles & same number of telegraph poles that were on his land when at harvest time after  I mentioned I was helping  check way -leaved poles & explained what they were  .

We  (  twenty or so farmers & families)  had a good chuckle when at the annual fireworks party he'd had a few too many of the home brews & let it slip to all in earshot that he didn't have any monies arriving for them as they'd been purchased out several years before he brought the farm off his " F'ing Dad " .
  His Dad's face was one of pure innocence & had the biggest smile you could ever wish for .

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 09:47:43 am »
Having come across a couple of threads on here about wayleaves I decided to investigate my own.

I sent the electricity company an email (they have a specific email address for this) and let them know what we had (2 poles), giving the numbers and locations on the poles, and asking if we would get any compensation.

The sent back a map and asked me to mark our boundaries.

This morning we had a personal visit from their rep. Having taken a look she can see that one pole is for our use only and you don't get any comp for that but the other pole goes on to serve our neighbours.

She is going to draw up an agreement for us.

I don't suppose it will be much money but better in my pocket than theirs and the process was really simple.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 10:02:25 am »
I hate my chat with the estates person at our southwest power yesterday. He said that these dodgy companies offering big payouts are essentially pursuing a line about detrimental effects to house prices. So, if like us, you have poles in hedgerows away from the house, then the payout is small. We have 5 or 6 poles on our land, some are 3 wire high voltage, some single wire... loads of stays... 15 year lease would be about 800 quid. Apparently the 15 yeah lease is actually only 10 or 11 annual payments lumped together, and a 25 year lease is only 14 annual payments.

The estates chap also advised us that we loose any right re-siting, or redirection of lines/poles for the duration of the lease.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 11:02:21 am »
We have 3 on our land, often wondered about this.
Do I contact NPOWER or is there a different company deals with poles ?

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 11:22:41 am »
We have 3 on our land, often wondered about this.
Do I contact NPOWER or is there a different company deals with poles ?

it's the regional infrastructure company, rather than the provider - so here in Devon I had to contact Western Power. I guess they are the companies that formed in the regions we the old electricity board was broken up.

as described by someone else - you just ring them up and say you want to know options around wayleave amounts and lease periods (15 year and 25 year), and they will send you a map on which to draw the outline of your land.

you will only get decent payouts for long term leases (as I understand it), if a) the poles are quite near your house and therefore might affect the value, or b) no one has been claiming the wayleaves for years, so back-payments are due.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 07:51:29 pm »
Be prepared for about a 3 year wait for changeover as they like to think people forget.

We only have about 9 poles and about 300m of buried stuff and its pays my BT bill

Amazing - they pay you to brng you your own connection :)

One day they might even install this thing called 'broadband' on my computer and I can have more than 4 9kw showers in my toilet block before the line catches fire :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 12:59:48 pm »
Wayleave update. ..

Western Power rep visited on Tuesday and today I received their agreement in the post. One pole £14.50 per annum but they are going to backdate to when we moved in in Feb 2012.

I'm happy :-)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 01:10:10 pm »
Wayleave update. ..

Western Power rep visited on Tuesday and today I received their agreement in the post. One pole £14.50 per annum but they are going to backdate to when we moved in in Feb 2012.

I'm happy :-)

I believe £30 per pole is the agri rate. £14.50 is the residential rate.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 02:45:21 pm »
Pah I have two two-poles and only get £26 :(.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 02:56:16 pm »
On a side note - am I supposed to have a document that says what width access western power need, and what distances I have to keep fences or buildings away from the poles etc?  I didn't get anything from them when I informed them that I was the new occupier, other than the cheque.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 08:24:12 pm »
Na - i put bird tables on mine and let them climb round it when they come to service the pole :)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 11:42:08 am »
Sorry to open an old thread but ... I just found that they publish the wayleaves rates, so you can look them up and check that you are getting the right amount:
http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-wayleaves-contact.html
Click on your region's link for the rates table.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 07:38:11 am »
A 2018 new year resolution .... claim!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS