Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with mucky eye  (Read 2170 times)

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
Lamb with mucky eye
« on: December 04, 2016, 10:32:24 am »
Hello all, hope you're all keeping warm and well. I have an 8 month old Shetland ewe lamb with a mucky (greenish-yellowy matter) eye. The eye itself isn't pink or cloudy, but the eyelid is reddish. She had this a few weeks ago in the other eye. I sent the vet a photo and described the symptoms over the phone. Vet prescribed Alamycin injections x 3 which I gave her and it cleared up. Am mystified why it's come back.

The vet also gave me some Opticlox eye ointment and I'll try this to see if it clears it up. Definitely not pink eye, no other sheep affected and I don't think it's a butting injury. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if she's just prone to it? Thanks all.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Lamb with mucky eye
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:39:38 am »
I've used Opticlox on eye infections with great success in the past.  Any other symptoms - scouring, lethargy, inappetance?    Has she been wormed/fluked recently?  She may be what my Granny used to call "run down" to have come down with this problem again - this Autumn seems to have been a bad one for the more vulnerable lambs.  Perhaps a period of nights in the shed and a vitamin and mineral drench or a bit of hard feed might be worth considering.

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 11:36:26 am »
Thanks Marches Farmer. I got her at the beginning of October, and we wormed her on arrival. She's a bonny lamb, playful and eating well - she gets a bit of hard feed with the other lamb I got at the same time (other lamb is a bit skinny so I'm feeding her up and the two are inseparable so get fed together). Vitamin and mineal drench sounds like a good idea - any recommendations? I've never use one before. I will try the Opticlox now and see how we get on.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 04:57:00 pm »
Might be worth having a word with your vet.  Ours is often quite happy to give out one or two doses of something like that and knows all about deficiencies in the local soils.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 05:08:22 pm »
Are they eating hay? Sometimes it can just be an irritation from that, or as others have said, her immune system is a bit down. A mineral drench sounds good in any case.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS