Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb boxes  (Read 3774 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
lamb boxes
« on: November 25, 2016, 05:02:56 pm »
Someone here must have done this. This is way out of my comfort zone but I want to sell half or whole lamb boxes direct to friends, family and anyone else who wants them.  Any pitfalls, regulations, suggestions on how to get this off the ground?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:05:57 pm by Dan »
Never ever give up.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: lamb boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 05:54:02 pm »
Can't read it, Liz
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:09:46 pm »
I can't either.  I don't know how that happened.
Never ever give up.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 06:11:58 pm »
Someone here must have done this.  This is way out of my comfort zone but I want to sell half or whole lamb boxes direct to friends, family and anyone else who wants them.  Any pitfalls, regulations, suggestions on how to get this off the ground?
Never ever give up.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 06:20:31 pm »
I can't either.  I don't know how that happened.

I believe it's a Google Chrome thing - happens to me all the time, and is very irritating. [member=1]Dan[/member] - I'm surprised there isn't a patch for this yet?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 07:14:31 pm »
IIRC, the meat must go straight from butcher to customer, else you need to get yourself set up as a food business with cold storage and hygiene certificates / inspections. Is there an abattoir and butcher you already use?

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 10:08:22 pm »
I believe it's a Google Chrome thing - happens to me all the time, and is very irritating. [member=1]Dan[/member] - I'm surprised there isn't a patch for this yet?

There is a new editor with the latest version of the forum software which should fix this and other bugs when using Chrome.

We'll get it installed sometime over the holiday period, apologies for the long time it's taken.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 10:15:21 am »
IIRC, the meat must go straight from butcher to customer, else you need to get yourself set up as a food business with cold storage and hygiene certificates / inspections. Is there an abattoir and butcher you already use?
We've looked into this and are hoping to start next year.  Yes, you need a hygiene certificate, to take the temperature of the meat, etc.  Worth having a word with your Council to make sure from the beginning that you don't fall foul of the law.  We're fortunate in having the room our predecessor on the farm used for butchery (and managed to supply from the farm without a hand-washing facility or meat thermometer without ever poisoning anyone!) 

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 05:15:54 pm »

Thank you for your replies. As ever this forum comes up with the goods. 

I'm having a real "toe in the water" moment when I do it for the first time tomorrow.  Quite by chance I have arranged for the meat to go straight from butcher to my 3 friends / guinea pigs so I will be within the food hygiene regulations (would not want it any other way in any event).  Next time I'll belt and braces, have a certificate with whatever needs to be done to comply.
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS