Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe with wet tail  (Read 2744 times)

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
Ewe with wet tail
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:09:52 pm »
When checking my sheep earlier, one was on her own in the field shelter and a bit slower to come over than the others. When I looked closer she seemed to have a line of moisture running down her tail, but there was no obvious signs of scouring.

I'm wondering if she's stopped lifting her tail/squatting like normal when going for a wee, and if so, is there anything that could cause this? Or, is it something to do with her being in with the ram at the moment?

I can't see anything obvious in my books, and I'm reluctant to catch her without having an idea what I might be looking for (esp as she's with the ram). She's alert and bright apart from that, and eating well.

I'm not sure why I bought a shelter as whenever one of them uses it I worry something is wrong!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Ewe with wet tail
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 03:04:33 pm »
In with the ram?   :thinking:   ... perhaps he missed the target  ;)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 03:23:47 pm »
I agree - poor marksmanship is the most likely explanation. Or if the girly is a first-timer he may not have made his amorous intentions clear enough.

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 05:07:36 pm »
I was wondering about that, although he hadn't left any raddle paste on her (which also might point to a lack of 'finesse' on his part!)

As long as people aren't telling me it's a sign of a specific disease I'm happy :relief:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 06:42:30 pm »
Nothing wrong with having field shelters, l have them in every field.
People  say sheep dont need shelter they have a wooly coat !
All my sheep use our shelters , l like to know when the weather gets really bad they have the choice to use them  :thumbsup:
Also really useful when one is poorly, you can put a hurdle across and keep them seperate without causing the stress of taking them out of the field away from the rest of the flock  :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS