Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Big hens = small eggs??  (Read 2372 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
Big hens = small eggs??
« on: November 16, 2016, 07:49:35 pm »
 :wave:   Disappointed to find that the two Blacktails we bought at the end of summer point of lay lay very small eggs. Is this normal for this type of hen. They're good size hens but eggs are much smaller than what my little rhode rock produces. Thought as they got past the odd size bit when they started laying that the eggs would get bigger but nope!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Big hens = small eggs??
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 08:25:03 pm »
As I understand it the Blacktail is a composite breed based on a Rhode Island Red cock over a Light Sussex hen, giving an autosexing chick.  That said, there are variations in the size of both those breeds and who knows what other breeds may have snuck in there to improve the egg laying capability somewhere along the way.  They may have brought in smaller eggs too.

Manaphy

• Joined Nov 2016
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 02:07:18 am »
I heard that they have smaller eggs if they are in stress. So are your gals sleeping well at night?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:41:08 am »
Possible that the breeder wasn't very selective of the eggs that were incubated Ewesaidit. Undersized eggs should be discarded, unless you are breeding rare Pedigrees for show I suppose.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 08:47:58 am »
I have some that started laying in September/ October time, there eggs are still small ish but I would expect them to be a nice size by the spring.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 04:01:13 pm »
Possible that the breeder wasn't very selective of the eggs that were incubated Ewesaidit. Undersized eggs should be discarded, unless you are breeding rare Pedigrees for show I suppose.

what weight of egg would you look to hatch from

i see your in france, do you know much about the cou cou de Rennes, i have some coming this weekend but all literature is in french and taking some time to get through

thanks in advance
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 07:47:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies all.  :fc:  They get bigger over time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS