Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hello from Orkney  (Read 2068 times)

orkney danny

• Joined Oct 2016
hello from Orkney
« on: October 28, 2016, 10:59:45 am »
Hi, firstly what a great and inspirational site, i am in Orkney ( on one of the smaller isle)  with my wife and 4 children 8-13 year old, i have 8 acres split into 2 plots, in the past i have had sheep, pigs and chickens but i have only been at it as a bit of a hobby mainly to teach the kids the better things in life, however this weekend we get our first two shetland cows, so excited, as you can imagine life on the Isle is a bit manic with fulltime employment being difficult due to ferry travel etc. so between us my wife and i have 11 part time/ relief jobs to make ends meet.  My aim however is to concentrate on being a smallholder as much as i can, i have no ambition of being a full scale farmer due to land prices but would love to be completly self sufficiant in meat and am now nearly there, the sheep, turkeys and chickens are all happy at the moment ( Turkeys not for much longer though) and now for the next step.  i hope to contribute as much as i can however interweb very sketchy at home so now cant wait to get to the office to catch up with the site/forum.  have a great week people. Danny

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: hello from Orkney
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 05:20:04 pm »
Hello, Danny. Welcome to the site and enjoy your land,
                                                                         Sylvia.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 05:30:33 pm »
Hi Danny and welcome to the forum from a  :sunshine: Mid-Wales. It all sounds really amazing what you are doing for your wife and kids. I think its really important to teach kids from an early age about where their food comes from and you are both certainly doing a fantastic job  :trophy: Keep up the good work and we look forward to hearing from you soon!
All the best  :thumbsup:
WBF
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 05:58:38 pm »
Welcome from Aberdeenshire

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 06:41:47 pm »
Hello from just over the other side of the Pentland Firth!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 07:34:32 pm »
Hello and welcome, Danny.

We've got Shetland cattle too - we milk them for a few weeks in the summer but need to decide what we're doing to do in relation to keeping calves on / getting a lot of milk next year. Dan made cheese thsi year - it will be ready at Christmas  :thumbsup:

There's stuff about our cattle in the Diary and on the website www.rosedeanshetlandcattle.scot

Have you joined the SCBA?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 07:40:06 pm »
Hi Danny, Welcome to the forum - I'm looking forward to getting your insight and perspective on things  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 12:01:55 am »
Hi Danny and welcome to the TAS forum. I love Orkney.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 08:41:23 pm »
Welcome to the site Danny ,

:idea:  There is a thread running about growing insects as a human protein as well as for feeding chickens  . You can do it during these long dark night & dry them out for dehydrated food additives , ice cream etc etc .

The whole thread is quite revealing , amusing and also has a serious implication for some .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS