Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ram went in today  (Read 6616 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Re: ram went in today
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 11:28:44 am »
My ram went in 10 days ago. He's covered 4 out of 9 already!  This was going to be his last year as he's 8 years old, but I may reconsider it  :thinking:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 05:57:33 pm »
5 done today ,. That is quarter of flock so happy with that .,. Hopefully lots tomorrow too
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 11:02:24 pm »
Our poor boy has practically dug himself a trench along his side of the fence, with all his amorous pacing. It doesn't help that Caribbean has spent all day up against the other side of the fence whispering sweet nothings either!

The bad news is that he's still got three weeks to wait, as we're aiming for Easter lambs next year  :-\

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 08:35:22 am »
My boys are all back together and away from the girls, they are not happy at this state of affairs.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 09:45:04 am »
We have 2 left to tup... 1 of the first lleyns tupped returned last week which wasn't a huge surprise as it looked like a quick job the first time (only a small yellow smudge on her bum)... 90% sure the pet ewe lamb has been tupped too. Had a bit of trouble with crayons harnesses etc so the other 2 will just have to wing it and see if they lamb unless we spot them tupping, any barren ewes into the freezer as with the grass we have they will become obese over the summer otherwise  :-\

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 10:46:48 am »
Had a bit of trouble with crayons harnesses etc

Could you just try making up some paste (maybe from a crayon you don't like) and slapping it on his chest?

My boys are all back together and away from the girls, they are not happy at this state of affairs.

That's the interesting thing about us all tupping at different times. Our new boy has already worked this year, but because we're tupping later he'll have had a couple of months off to recover before working for us. We're happy because we got ourselves a great tup at a good price, and his previous owner is happy because she didn't need to keep him all winter just to sell him on in the summer. When you think about it, roughly half of all flocks must have a proven senior ram for sale in October, and will take a reservation for him during the summer. Nice and easy, and definitely something we'll do again  :thumbsup:  .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 12:07:41 pm »

Could you just try making up some paste (maybe from a crayon you don't like) and slapping it on his chest?

In the end we rubbed the crayon on his chest, it worked but needed replacing a few days after and he isn't the easiest to catch, and each time we caught him it stressed the ewes who are quite flighty. There's only 3 that don't have marked bums- 1 I saw him serve last week, and the 2 that we aren't sure if he's served or not. At least we know he's working and the majority are cycling though so that put my mind at ease.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 12:24:14 pm »

I use raddle paste and apply using a long handled wooden spoon (like the sort you'd use for jam making).  Means you can put a bucket of food down and slap the paste on whilst he's eating, without having to catch him.  Takes a bit of practice though :)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 12:55:18 pm »
haha, thanks for the wooden spoon idea.  this is the first year I've used it and it went everywhere!!!  I never thought it was hard to get off.  By the time i had finished applying it, it was all over me and my clothes, and my truck! :roflanim:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 05:13:48 pm »
Well our ram went in yesterday , a little late for us I know. He has already served 6-7 of them. 2 sheep are due in feb, as we had to give him some company when he first came. A few more ewes were gotten by the previous ram before he went, as he escaped, so they will be due in jan. It seems we may have some ready for slaughter early summer :)  :yum: We have flushed our ewes so hopefully loads of twins and not too many trips.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 05:15:37 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 05:19:05 pm »
We use a harness on the Cotswold ram but because the Castlemilk Moorit rams are a lot smaller, use raddle paste on the chest. I hold the ram still and the other half puts on the paste. The paste is mixed up in a recycled Chinese takeaway container and applied using a throwaway plastic glove that you get from the filling station for preventing the smell of fuel on your hands.

The Cotswold ram covered all 27 of the ewes in the first 17 days and so far there is only one repeat mating and that from one of the earliest to get covered. The girls were mobbing him for the first few days so he might not have had the time or energy to do a proper job. (Our girls are a bit pushy, must be something in the water). The Shetland cows are the same, one of the producing a calf on the earliest day possible after the bull arrived.

The Castlemilk Moorit ewes are more ladylike and don't seem to cycle until the days shorten and the temperature drops. This is usually around 5th November everything goes with a bang that day.

Regards, Dave

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 10:48:13 am »
our rams went together on sunday just gone. We first put them in on Oct 22nd, but we had the WFW Ram with the 22 registered WFW ewes, and the texel ram in with the 4 non-registered WFW ewes and one crossed ewe.

After giving them a 3 weeks in the "official" order, we've put them all together to give them 2 weeks to correct any errors.... one of the boys shooting blanks, for instance. That'll give us a 5 week lambing window, which is not too bad.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 06:04:51 pm »
Ram has now lost interest and is grazing with the ewes looking like he is pleased to have got that all over with  :relief:
Never ever give up.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 06:12:36 pm »
>Ram has now lost interest and is grazing with the ewes looking like he is pleased to have got that all over >with  :relief:

All three of our rams have done their business with a few repeat matings. But all of them are pacing round checking bottoms and looking keen on finding someone who needs attention. It must be the water round here.

Regards, Dave

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2016, 02:40:23 am »
Chad's a happy boy tonight - he got his second batch, of 7 ladies, today.  He'd stopped keeping the 4 Zwartbles company, so I hope that means they're all tupped successfully.  (They're all still in the same field, for at least another 3 weeks, so we should see if any of them return.).

He's not impressed with the reduction in numbers, though.  He tupped over 30 for me last year.

We tupped the Zwarties earlier as their lambs should fatten in one season, and left the fleece girls a little later hoping to have newborn lambs for the Easter visitors.  But then life and weather intervened and we were 3 days later putting them in than we'd planned :/
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS