Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lost ear tags  (Read 9671 times)

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
Lost ear tags
« on: October 11, 2016, 02:47:17 pm »
My 2 lovely 5 month old lambs arrived 10 days ago. This morning, one of them has lost both of her ear tags during the night. Her ears are a bit bloodstained but not ripped. They were button type tags so not 'around the ear edge' like the ones in my other 4 sheep. I can't find them anywhere which is crazy as they are bright blue and bright yellow (the ear tags that is, not my sheep!)
I feel terrible that she may have perhaps got her little head caught in some stock fencing and that this may in some way be my fault/lack of experience and that I should have put her somewhere safer? Bless her.
What do I do now? Presumeably they must be replaced (I will have to get someone in to do that for me). Do they have to keep the same number or does it have to be different? Also, does this have to be done immediately or can I wait for her ears to recover and not be so sore?
They are only pet sheep/mowers so going anywhere.
Thankyou in advance for any advice.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:48:48 pm by Oopsiboughtasheep »
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Lost ear tags
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 03:45:47 pm »
I'm not an expert as I have only pet sheep too.  This happened to my little rescued Willow when she was a lamb - she got her tags caught in the fence and ripped both ears from top to bottom.  I have kept these round tags for legal purposes, but as she will not be going anywhere have not re-tagged her - as each ear is still in two separate parts - she is 5 now.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 03:54:28 pm »
Even if they aren't going anywhere they still need to be tagged once they are over 12 months old, even if the ears are ripped.  If your sheep escape or are stolen then the tag will trace them back to you.

Oops - you need to do one of the following:  a) if you know the person you bought them off and can ask them for some replacement tags (with same number on) then do that, if not then b) get yourself some replacement tags - they will need to be RED and have your flock number on, and you will need to record the replacement in your flock book. (note you can only buy tags in strips of 10) (and you can only buy tags for your own flock number)

Sounds to me that the tags weren't inserted correctly - they shouldn't pop out like that - the only way they should come out is by ripping the ear.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 04:08:10 pm »
I'm not an expert as I have only pet sheep too.  This happened to my little rescued Willow when she was a lamb - she got her tags caught in the fence and ripped both ears from top to bottom.  I have kept these round tags for legal purposes, but as she will not be going anywhere have not re-tagged her - as each ear is still in two separate parts - she is 5 now.

She needs to be tagged, if animal health do a spot check this is one of the things they are hot on. So log in your flock book the numbers of her old tags that were ripped out, and then order some replacement double RED tags with your flock number and log down her new tag numbers in the flock book too. The red tags show that she has been retagged whilst on your holding due to lost tags, but she was not born on the holding.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 06:13:28 pm »
If you know the exact numbers that were on her tags - flock number and individual number, then you can get identical replacements. If not, it will be red tags.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 07:07:38 pm »
probably cheapest and easiest option is to order REPLICA tags with the same numbers as her original , RED pairs replacement tags  are often as FOOBAR says sold in strips ,depends on the manufacturer , I bought 5pairs from SHEARWELL .   REMEMBER you need tagging pliers ,so if you or someone you know has some then this will dictate who you buy the tags from .    You cannot ask the person who supplied the lambs for a pair of tags as they need to have a record of what ear tags they replaced,  and this lamb has already been sold,so not theirs to replace ,      and you have to have a record from the supplier of tags purchased

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 11:44:36 pm »
Many thanks for all the advice. I will try to order a pair of replica tags if I can and find out from the previous owner what sort of tagging pliers she used. Hopefully she can be retagged her using the original holes.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 08:13:21 am »
Yes, when we lost tags a while ago, the advice was indeed to re-tag using the original hole as long as the ear wasn't torn. Most of our ewes came with button tags, and have lost at least one of them since. We replace them with Shearwell SET tags, which stay in much better.

It doesn't matter what brand of tags you use as the replacements though (especially if she's lost both of them). Personally I'd ask around and see what brand of applicator you can borrow easily, and then order replica / replacement tags from that manufacturer. That's assuming you're not breeding, and won't have your own lambs to tag in the future. If you are, it would be worthwhile just buying an applicator for your chosen tags now.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 09:31:24 am »
You can not get replica tags for a flock number that isn't yours (AFAIK).  The seller can get replica tags, so it depends on how well you know them as to whether you can ask them to do this :) (yes they no longer have any responsibility since they sold them, but they might be nice and help you out).

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 09:50:45 am »
You can not get replica tags for a flock number that isn't yours (AFAIK). 

Hmmm, it does make sense that only the original owner should be issued with replicas. However I didn't know that, so I've always just ordered them and received them no problem. For example, here are the last replica tags I ordered - they're for two different flock numbers, neither of which is mine!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:56:50 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 10:45:36 am »
Hmm, that does seem to defeat the object of the tag control doesn't it. lol. oh well! :)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 12:30:21 pm »
You can buy replica tags for any animals you have bought , last week I got  a  cattle tag  and a sheep eid tag for a ram both purchased , you have to remember that you are already recorded as the owner of these numbers and the tag supplier will record that you have bought them , then you will record that you have put them back in the animal so full trace ability  .      If the last person who owned the lambs ( helps you out ) how do they  and you record the tags , since the gov knows they purchased the tags and if inspected they have to either have the tags in stock or recorded as gone into one of their sheep .

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 01:32:14 pm »
Right-o, thanks! :)

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 03:16:50 pm »
How interesting that quite a few of you do things differently. As I won't be breeding my sheep (and have promised OH that I won't get any more than the current 6!!!!  :innocent:) I would prefer just to get one replacement blue tag and one replacement yellow as opposed to a strip of 10 red ones that might never get used.

So......Shep53, can you let me know where you got your tags from please and I'll get them ordered. Thankyou.

Also, how long can I leave the tags out for healing to take place (just incase I get a visit from anyone who might be unhappy that she hasn't got any tags in at the mo). Her poor little ears look so sore and swollen and she is clearly uncomfortable. I have purple sprayed them thoroughly.

Thankyou all.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 03:45:13 pm »
Leave them out as long as is needed.  Animal health always listen to reason when it comes to animals health above legislation, its not like having a VAT inspector around.  Animal health will give advice in the faith that you follow it through in good time - not make demands and accusations on the spot to remedy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS