Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Litter rant  (Read 3060 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Litter rant
« on: October 08, 2016, 09:50:21 am »
I live on a single track lane with little traffic and very few people on foot. it's usually just me and the dog and the very occasional walker.

We aren't near shops, a pub or a main road.

This morning I noticed 2 cider cans, a crisp packet and a water bottle, all discarded in the hedge.

What makes people feel they have the right to spoil our lovely countryside like this?  It makes me even madder to think that this must have been done by walkers who should know better.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

Re: Litter rant
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 12:13:53 pm »
I hate it too - we have lots of places near us that are favourites with fly tippers as well as folk who throw rubbish out of cars.
We've started some community litter picks and posting the info on our village facebook page - hopefully it will shame some of the offenders into changing their behaviour and there's always a chance we'll find some incriminating evidence to allow the local authority to fine them  ;)
Complete laziness and there's no need for it  :rant: :rant: :rant:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 01:53:19 pm »
I'm sorry to say it probably wasn't walkers. It was probably a couple of youths in a car sometime during the night.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 02:15:34 pm »
I'm sorry to say it probably wasn't walkers. It was probably a couple of youths in a car sometime during the night.

Harmony, I doubt that. We just don't get that sort of traffic through here but I would rather think if was youths than someone who is supposed to care for the countryside.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 02:43:55 pm »

Harmony, I doubt that. We just don't get that sort of traffic through here but I would rather think if was youths than someone who is supposed to care for the countryside.

They don't need to be driving through, just parking up, having a couple of drinks, whatever else, litter out of window and off they go. We live up a dead end and find stuff tossed in the roadside too.

Who goes for walk and takes alcohol? Not many ramblers I doubt.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »
We have a couple of village clean up days, +  out on nearby roads and footpaths, i can almost guarantee there will be litter within a couple of days, some people do it as a sort of 'snub' to the volunteers  who care.

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 09:35:44 am »
We get all manner of rubbish coming down our burn, crisp packets, juice cans, news papers , glass bottles smashed when they are thrown out of the car.
The worst one though has to be the family who stopped their car outside my house to disgorge all the rubbish and fag ends from their road trip, unluckily for them I spotted them chucking everything out and gave them a right mouthful, after threatening to report them for littering they picked it all up again.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 10:05:10 pm »
Good for you, Celli.  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 10:26:51 pm »
[member=8989]Bionic[/member]  its always the same here am afraid, except we can get whole Mcdonalds bags and sometimes burger king stuff, believe me I really don't know why seeing we are up on a hill a mile or 2 away from the nearest village. It does anger me, but then I console myself with the fact that I am recycling what they didn't so I am helping the environment; not much to console one-self about though, is it? As long as we pick up litter from our lanes then it benefits the environment, but as for the people littering, all I can say is shame on them. Unless you have cctv you won't be able to catch them :(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 10:55:52 pm »
Village cleanup yesterday, 3 lots of plastic bottles obviously dumped on the road, someone doesn't like the village clean and tidy. Sad.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS