Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cost of reopening a well  (Read 3190 times)

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
cost of reopening a well
« on: September 22, 2016, 09:47:34 pm »
I know thee is no exact answer but very roughly what would you expect to pay to reopen an old well (see attached pic of what I uncovered while clearing the garden). I'd like a stone wall round it, with roof and bucket, etc. More an ornament than a regularly used well.
Thanks, William

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: cost of reopening a well
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 08:20:37 am »
I can't answer your question about cost William, but we have considered the same thing here and ran into an immediate snag. The French regulations here for septic tank systems, which are more stringent than the UK, specify that a well cannot be closer than 30 metres to a soak away system. As ours would be only 10 metres the idea has been abandoned. Don't know if that regulation applies to you or if you would be affected?

The difficulty with yours, as ours, would be getting the cap off in one piece, without bits dropping down the well. Then you may also find that the original wall, the roof and all the winding gear was dropped into the well so would all need removing.

So getting an idea of cost may be difficult without further consideration/ examination.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 08:33:20 am »
The UK regs are more stringnent actually.... 50m between septic soakaway and any well/watercourse/ditch

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 02:18:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the septic tank which is probably -50m away. If I could get the metal grate off and see inside it would help but I don't want to do much if the cost of sorting it would be prohibitive.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 09:15:19 pm »
If you're not planning on actually using it, then why bother going to the expense of opening it up?
You can still build your little wall etc round it. It'll look the same, but without the potential danger of anything falling down it and drowning.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:05:18 am »
Its in the garden and could be used for watering the plants etc. I quite like the idea of keeping old things working, even though they may not be overly practical, e.g. my 1949 series 1 landrover.
William

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 10:33:45 am »
I think first course of action would be to get metal grid out, look down and decide from there. Look forward to hearing what you do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS