Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disbudding gone wrong  (Read 1607 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Disbudding gone wrong
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:37:27 pm »
Hi
earlier this year I had kids dis-budded, one obviously didn't work right, and it going to go into the skull, I obviously have to get something done about it, but should I expect the vet to put it right free of charge?
It looks like its digging in, but its actually not quite touching, there is a bit of movement in the horn, but its not going to break off like they sometimes do.
before i phone the vet, thoughts please[size=78%]? [/size]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:39:12 pm by penninehillbilly »

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Disbudding gone wrong
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 06:24:00 pm »
Our vet will do it free of charge in the rare occurence of re growth -they'd rather risk doing it gain rather that than pressing too hard and end up with dead kid. By the size of the scurs you may have left it a bit late, to be a complete success,if done as soon as re growth noticed there will be no further regrowth. Contact your vet.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Disbudding gone wrong
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 08:00:01 pm »
What has happened is that the vet didn't go forward enough. Nothing much he can do now, except either saw off some of the horn or give it good yank to break it off (as it may do anyway the next time she has a disagreement with one of her mates) - but it most likely will bleed heavily, he could then cauterize if necessary.

No idea if s/he would do it free of charge - I have brought some of mine back (especially entire boys) but it has to be done as soon as there is a hint of re-growth. he has done it free of charge for me, and was quite annoyed with himself for not having got it right... but it is a tricky job and if s/he has not done many...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS