Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aggressive/Disrespectful Milking Doe  (Read 2197 times)

Aussie_Farm_Medic

• Joined Aug 2016
Aggressive/Disrespectful Milking Doe
« on: September 19, 2016, 08:00:47 am »
Hello Everybody,

I have recently (2 weeks ago) become a goat owner and have two milking does. Primrose is a lovely little 11 month old Anglo Nubian x British Alpine and she is an absolute treasure, I look forward to milking her when she kids. Our other doe, Holly, is a very large 4 year old Anglo Nubian x Black Saanen maiden milker. Holly is wonderful to milk and is currently producing 1.4 litres of milk daily and increasing yield steadily (once a day milking) and her milk has just now begun to taste lovely and sweet and creamy. She had never been milked (except twice in two years by a vet) before we bought her but has been really easy to train. I really think she likes being milked and is very well behaved for it. The issue with her is that everyday or so she will challenge us and charge or head butt us. She landed my mum rather painfully on the ground a few days ago, so it is no laughing matter! I might add that she has pretty impressive horns too!!

I believe the issue is that her previous owners were very deferential to her and if she wanted something regardless of what it was she got it. She was definitely the leader with them. I'm sure they meant well but it will not work for us. We expect our animals (Horses, cows, sheep, dogs) to be respectful of us and gentle.

When Holly starts to beeline for me I have been making myself look big and tall and have had to slap my sides, stomp and growl (I know, I sound like a cave-woman) to prevent the collision. Sometimes that has not worked and I've had to heave her away constantly prevent impact. She will even rear up and try to slam down on us. She is much taller than me when she does that too! Mum doesn't feel safe to go into the paddock alone to milk Holly now.

So HELP!!! Has anyone had this issue before? What is the best way to correct her? Is she just trying to become the leader again? Any success stories?
Thanks so much!!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Aggressive/Disrespectful Milking Doe
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 08:12:51 am »
When I have had this problem, usually with bought in males, I grab them when they start to attack and tip them over like a sheep.  Once on the ground I kneel on the neck and shoulder and do not let them stand up again until I say so.  It normally only takes once or twice for rules to be established but you must be consistant and prepared to do it again if needed.  This may not work for everyone as tipping is an art.

Aussie_Farm_Medic

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 10:17:56 am »
Thanks for the reply! Yes, um wow..... I haven't tipped a sheep for years. So I suppose it wouldn't hurt a goat to be tipped? I know that if cows roll they can twist their gut, but are goats more like sheep in that regard? Do you think that everyone who handles her would need to do it or just one?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 11:07:35 am »
I have had to sit on top of my bucklings a few times... although all of mine are disbudded. Never had issues with a female goat though, and would be doubtful that her behaviour will change if she is 4 yo..., especially if she hasn't ever kidded.

Water pistols get used as well...

In the meantime - she should be coming into a pen and then onto a milking stand, where you can milk her with her head secured in a yoke. I would try and teach her a routine for milking/feeding - in that she comes to you calmly - treat, put lead on her - treat, lead her into pen/milking stand - treat (her usual dinner). Do it at the same time every day, and I guess she should then also be in a pen o/night, then led out again into the field next morning. If she gets a mid-day ration, again, lead her into the pen for that too.

Also a bigger herd would also be good - she will at the moment see "you" as her herd...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 03:30:55 pm »
Try a water pistol
I've read about using one, never tried it but mentioned it to a friend who had a problem, apparently it works.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS