Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stitch seeding  (Read 1598 times)

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
Stitch seeding
« on: September 08, 2016, 06:42:12 pm »
I've just harrowed and seeded a small (1/2acre) paddock that we've been trying to reclaim. Progress is slow, but from an inaccessible tangle of birch saplings and rushes, we now have something that looks like a paddock ... until you get up close! Hence the stitch seeding to fill in the gaps ....
I think I read somewhere that it's a good idea to graze (sheep) the existing grass after seeding, up to the point when the seed starts to germinate. Is that right?
Also, we need to lime again. What's the best time of year to do that, and how long should I leave it after seeding?

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Stitch seeding
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:27:30 pm »
I'd graze the 'old/existing' grass right down. Graze it really hard and then stitch in grass and clover.
Do it when there is growing conditions.  You could still do it now but I wouldn't put stock back on until possibly the spring.  If the sheep were put on the grass this year I would let them lightly graze the paddock and then remove as the stitched in grass won't have a huge root system.
If not stitching in now you could lime now.

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Stitch seeding
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 10:48:32 am »
Thanks for that. I'll sow now (weather supposed to stay good for a bit) and leave it 'til the spring. It's closest to the house, so hopefully will be good to go by lambing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS