Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dropped Wing?  (Read 1816 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Dropped Wing?
« on: September 03, 2016, 08:36:50 pm »
Can anyone give me some advice. Got home at sunset after being out for the afternoon to see one of our young geese looking odd. His (we think he is a boy but too young to tell) wings are droopping downwards. He's still waddling around fine and eating. The other geese (another youngster and 3 adults -gander and two geese) are all fine. As are other animals. Is there anything I can do for him? He's about 15 weeks old.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Dropped Wing?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 09:30:29 pm »
with Muscovies, if the flight feathers come in very quickly the wings can droop due to the unaccustomed weight -they should come right fairly quickly. There's also angel wing but this does not look like it.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:34:51 pm »
Just been out to check and now he is sitting down and not getting up :-/

Been reading about possible vit B/ niacin deficiency but he seems old for that.

Thinking of bringing him in a crate with some brewers yeast in water but he'll be on his own.

Dans
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:49:29 pm by Dans »
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 07:23:32 am »
I only have experience with Muscovies but they would not be too old for niacin deficiency at that age. put some brewer's yeast on his food-if it is that you should see an improvement in 24-48 hours and it'll not hurt the others.

I had one very big young drake that went off his legs a bit-brewers yeast got him right in a few days. I only feed the ducks a waterfowl specific food now-waterfowl can't get B3 from grains the same way poultry can and I've had no further problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS