Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flystrike (again )  (Read 3673 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Flystrike (again )
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:30:56 am »

My poor boy has it again, person who was asking her son in law to shear them kept saying she'd get back to me, so I've just been spraying with citronella,  maybe washed off in rain. He was still acting normal, no smell, i think I got it early, though there were a lot came out. 
Anyway, rear quarter, doused in jeyes, I've taken wool down as best I can with scissors ( big & sharp but not as good as shearing), doused in jeyes again, (after first jeyes treatment, left him a while, when I went back he shook himself, ever had a shower of dead maggots? - yuk)
I think it's getting a bit near winter to shear right back?
Will crovect react with the jeyes, or will it be OK to treat him with that today?
Are some sheep more susceptible to strike than others?
Are black sheep more susceptible than white (black wool warmer than White? )
TIA

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Flystrike (again )
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 11:35:41 am »
Can't predict the weather but I'd be inclined to get him shorn asap.  That will completely solve the problem as by the time the wool grows back long enough for maggots to cling to the fly season should be finished.  No-one will want to shear him if he's just been Crovected. 

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 11:42:20 am »
  No-one will want to shear him if he's just been Crovected. 
That's why they've just been getting citronella, trouble is I've finished my spay full and can't find the big bottle.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 11:47:35 am »
Have you got hand shears? Do him yourself - doesn't matter if he looks like you "should have gone to specsavers"! Then you can really see what is going on and crovect him. Not too late to shear. How many you got to do? Ask a local farmers son. They will be getting caught up on their summer jobs and it will be a bit of cash for him.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 12:07:50 pm »
Yea I would shear him myself if I were you. The thing with black sheep is I don't think they are more prone I think its just cause it is difficult to see when they have strike. I had a lamb with it yesterday, she is OK now and back with the flock.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 12:13:35 pm »
I've heard it said that black sheep don't get flystrike and primitives don't get fly strike - that's a load of bunkum.  Your tup is very susceptible to strike whatever his colour as he has a whole load of fleece which is attracting flies.  There's no limit to how many times a sheep can be struck.

How many do you have to shear?  Have you thought of getting yourself a pair of hand shears and having a go at getting that fleece off them all now?  It doesn't really matter if you make a mess of it as it will likely be in poor condition now.  Having done it for one year yourself then you can be more confident and do it yourself again next year.   It can never be good hanging around waiting for someone else to shear for you, especially once it gets into August - and now we're just about into September.

For hand shearing technique, there are plenty of You tube clips to follow, but just to get the stuff off is the important thing.
When you hand shear you are cutting through the rise, which will by now be well above the skin - this means that your sheep will have a fair covering of wool for heading into winter.  In fact it will be better to do it yourself for that reason, as electric shears can only give a close shave...
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 12:27:26 pm »
Have black sheep and  they are primitive it is extremely rare  for them to get struck and I don't use any form of preventative as a rule. They are in different sites one on a hill the other lowland so i don't think its even where they are; was interested to read that studies have been done into fleece types and some are more prone than others.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 01:34:43 pm »
I don't want to tempt fate, but my fleece flock get very little strike, thank goodness.

I do notice that the flies do seem to really love black fleece, though.  I've got 4 black girls, and there are always more flies - not greenbacks, just any old flies - buzzing around them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 02:39:17 pm »
Interesting about the black sheep thing. The only one of my Coloured Rylands that got caught this year was the only greyish one. I hand sheared immediately used Crovect to kill them first then sprayed with Jeyes later to be even more sure. Yup looked like a Specsavers job, a bit Johnny Rotten for the older members....  I rather liked it.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 03:25:21 pm »
Thanks, he was looking a bit like a lion from the previous trimming, but there doesn't seem to be much 'rise ' in the fleece, he's been struck where it was still shortish from July, I've taken it down as much as I could, knicked the poor fella, not enough to dry blood. Taken his lions mane off as well.
I only have 2 adults, him and his black swaley mum, and 2 white lambs. I have an old pair of shears, can't seem to do anything with them,

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 04:44:33 pm »
where abouts are you !

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 09:42:25 pm »
We hand shorn a ewe lamb we are retaining last week. Her fleece was very thick and heavy, she was waiting to get strike. She's much comfier now she's had a haircut. Incidentally one of our new shearling ewes had flystrike in her foot- we managed to catch her today (still not tame) and flushed her foot with crovect. Hopefully we caught it in time but time will tell. She's had antibiotics and painkillers and is in for the week with a friend  :fc:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 10:38:46 pm »
Had our little Soay flock for about 6 years and frightened to speak too soon but no strike yet. :fc:

They are all coloured so don't think that colour could be a key factor. They are treated usually once with Crovect. We roo them where we can but trim any stubborn fleece with dressmaking scissors!

The scissors work quite well but guessing they wouldn't get through a thicker fleece.

Hope your boy is okay.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 10:47:52 pm »
It's more to do with humidity of the fleece than colour

You want a fleece that doesn't sweat , is open and can breath . This means that that it isn't attractive to a fly looking for somewhere to lay eggs

Nature knows best of course and most  wild/feral sheep are hair sheep or shed their own wool (they would die otherwise)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 11:40:22 am »
where abouts are you !
Near Hebden Bridge, W.Yorks, but on the hills above. 1000ft mark. Could really do with putting them in the top field, but it's rented out to an old farmer for cattle, and he won't give it up (does very well out of RPA/rent ratio).
He (tup!) does have a very thick fleece, struggle to get scissors through, i tnink hand shears wouldnt be any easier. Needs electric really.  I'll have to catch his mum as well and give her a short back and sides, but for some reason all along her back is quite short,
Crovect WAS in the field shelter, which we cleared out to get some hay in. Why is life never Simple?
Now he's trimmed I'll get some raddle paste on him, then he's away.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS