Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trading Liveweight and Deadweight  (Read 1914 times)

Welshlad

• Joined Aug 2016
Trading Liveweight and Deadweight
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:24:49 pm »
Anyone got any experience of purchasing fatstock lambs at marts and then selling to abbatoir?

Can this be a worthwhile venture?

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Trading Liveweight and Deadweight
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 11:27:56 am »
its called buying stores!

Your going to loose money by the time you factor in your travel and time costs.

Better off buying store lambs for £40-50 and selling them for £60-70 after xmas, when more fat on them, but that will cost you £10-15 each in feed.

To make money doing that you need to be buying 100-200 stores a time.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:26:52 pm »
Over the years iv'e seen new men try to buy at auctions but the regular dealers always try to force them out by either outbidding them or bidding them up then dropping out .    You will have to  be very care full ,any lambs out of spec or rejected for illness or injury will lose you money .     Most dealers are buying for a big killing house to a certain spec on commision

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 10:13:49 pm »
Big risk I would say. For a start abattoirs generally kill for someone else who is paying for their services. They aren't generally buying stock to kill which they then sell on. The dealers are buying huge numbers every week from various auctions. Farmers I know watch the market very carefully and sometimes they sell liveweight and sometimes they sell deadweight. A shep53 said dealers buy to a spec. Travelling and how long an animal waits in the auction can knock it's weight back.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 07:12:24 am »
Our local abattoirs have people at market each week buying fatstock. I don't think you would make much, if anything financially, selling deadweight it is very easy for money to be knocked off because of bruising, overfat, too heavy etc- all things especially the bruising you wouldn't be aware of at a market

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 08:52:56 am »
if you like [member=163498]Welshlad[/member]  I have a load of ram lambs for sale. Some of them fat and some nearly, I would have to get them in to see though. Would you be interested? I have someone coming to look at them on Sunday, but if not I will let you know. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS