Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaving for garments  (Read 2866 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Weaving for garments
« on: August 21, 2016, 08:33:08 pm »
One of the categories for the local show next year is a woven garment.

Any ideas on what I can make?

I would prefer to weave it on my rigid heddle as it's easier but it's only 16 inches wide so whatever I make would need to be in strips, unless I take the plunge and do it on the 4 shaft which is 34 inches wide.

Most things I look at are very boxy. I would like it to have a bit more style than that.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Weaving for garments
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:34:32 pm »
I've never done this, but I think that if you weave fine yarn tightly you can cut it and shape it.  If you machine stitched inside the seam allowance that would stop the cut edges unravelling.  The hard part of doing things that way is that you might have to waste some of what you've woven. I'll be reading everyone else's replies avidly as I do want to give it a go, and I don't like boxy either.
Take the plunge and weave it wide  :thumbsup:  matching up any pattern on strips could be a challenge - you'd still have to do it with 34" but not so many times.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 06:08:51 am »
Could you join strips together - like it is done with kente cloth - but instead of all being the same length use the edge to shape the garment?  I am not a weaver so this may be impractical.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 09:16:20 am »
Could you join strips together - like it is done with kente cloth - but instead of all being the same length use the edge to shape the garment?  I am not a weaver so this may be impractical.

I've not heard of kente cloth before but having looked it up its definitely an interesting possibility. thanks Buttermilk

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 06:49:11 am »
Have a look on the saori groups on Ravelry, there's a thread there with some very accomplished jackets and discussion about cutting handwoven.http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/saori-weaving-for-everyone/3139533/751-775

sgrey's post about half-way down the page.
http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/saori-weaving-for-everyone/3139533/751-775

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 07:37:22 am »
Thankyou for that link Dogwalker.

I usually find Ravelry a bit of a monster to find my way round but with a direct link I can see the exact thread. 

I have found a fairly easy pattern for a wrap skirt that should work. Maximum width needed 27 inches, so my rigid heddle is out.  Need to bite the bullet for the 4 shaft loom.

Now my problem is which yarn. I spent much of the day yesterday trawling through sites selling yarn and couldn't find what I wanted. One of the problems is that I have some specific colours in mind. Also I'm not sure of the thickness. I get confused as each site sees to talk differently i.e. WC count, NM count.

I have some yarn that I bought from Texere, no longer in existence, but it says 2/28wc pure wool. It works out at 40wpi. I have a small sample that I did previously but its a bit fine so I'm looking for something just a bit thicker.

for a 2/28wc on line the wpi seems vastly different, hence sending off for the sample card so that I can judge with my eye something that looks the right thickness.

Anyway, hope the samples get here soon so I can be put out of my misery.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 07:47:06 am »
I've recently bought a second hand 4shaft loom and I'm half-way through threading the heddles, not as difficult as I thought it would be (ask me again next week when I discover I've missed some vital step).

I don't understand weaving yarn terminology yet.

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 09:02:52 am »
Bionic I wonder if you could help me?
I have a Rigid Heddle and I want to make tea towels for Christmas presents I have tried using dk cotton but this is too thick could you advise me what cotton to use and hopefully a British supplier.
Thank you, sorry for the hijack

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 09:49:11 am »
Bionic I wonder if you could help me?
I have a Rigid Heddle and I want to make tea towels for Christmas presents I have tried using dk cotton but this is too thick could you advise me what cotton to use and hopefully a British supplier.
Thank you, sorry for the hijack

If it helps, we asked an experienced weaver for guidance on this exact topic (well, for tea towels to make on our 4-shafts) at Woolfest, and ended up buying Venne 8/2 unmercerised organic cotton from My Fine Weaving Yarns.  It was a toss-up between the pure cotton and the cottolin - half-and-half cotton and linen - but we decided to use the pure cotton.

It's absolutely beautiful yarn. 

Now that we've done our sums, we've realised that the fact that cottolin doesn't shrink much, if at all, would have made a big difference to the amount we would have needed.  But they're both beautiful yarns, and come in delicious colours.

Weaving cotton isn't cheap, however.  :(.  So an alternative is to call Fairfield Mill and ask them if they have anything suitable.  They get ends of lots, which they then sell on to domestic weavers, so they have an ever-changing stock.  I'm told they're always happy to discuss your requirements, very able to help you decide what you need (the terminology is daunting at first, isn't it!) and the yarns are usually significantly cheaper than the likes of the Venne from MFWY.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 12:10:47 pm »
Phew, I'm glad you answered that SITN as I wouldn't know where to start...lol

However, I can recommend Fairfield Yarns. When having weaving classes I was told I needed a particular thread. I phoned them and they sent me 3 samples that they thought would suit (little bits of the yarn selotaped to the paper). From that I was able to choose the one I wanted and it was lovely.

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 10:28:35 pm »
Thank you so much

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 10:35:36 pm »
Sadly I have decided to sell my four shaft as it hurts my arms and back to weave. Nothing to do with the loom but everything to do with my physical condition. I haven't touched it for ages. I also have a warping board that is no use to me now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS